Is it too early to think about diving with a twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck(ed)Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is it a good idea to get a back plate that can hold two tanks? I really like the idea of it and I have been wanting a new BC but I’d rather not buy one just to learn that I am going to need/want something better soon after. I have heard a lot of people talk about how nice they are to have for both recreational and tech diving so as someone who wants to head in the tech diving direction, would it be a good idea?

I plan to keep scuba as a big part of my life (and hopefully career). I know most of my gear currently is only good for recreational diving but I would like to start bridging that gap as soon as I can (to avoid unnecessary gear purchases).

I didn't much like diving a single cylinder using a back plate made for doubles. Hated it, in fact. Especially using a STA (single tank adapter)! So, there's that.

Moreover, you will "need" a singles wing (to dive a single), and a doubles wing (to dive doubles). This suggests that if you are going to purchase a doubles back plate, then you will "need" to purchase a doubles wing. And a second 1st stage. And a manifold, too, probably. Also, a second cylinder and the bands to connect the pair of cylinders to the back plate.

rx7diver

While there are single-tank only backplates, they are not very common in my experience. I had no issue with the typical plate that works for both. It's true you will need a dedicated wing for doubles, but you can get that later.

Usually if you buy a backplate and wing, you can change the wing only and keep the rest to dive doubles.

You usually have to change the wing, because it needs to taco around the cylinders and the doubles is obviously twice larger so the wing shape has to be different so it can wrap around the cylinders without too much excess.

I didn't much like diving a single cylinder using a back plate made for doubles. Hated it, in fact. Especially using a STA (single tank adapter)! So, there's that.

Moreover, you will "need" a singles wing (to dive a single), and a doubles wing (to dive doubles). This suggests that if you are going to purchase a doubles back plate, then you will "need" to purchase a doubles wing. And a second 1st stage. And a manifold, too, probably. Also, a second cylinder and the bands to connect the pair of cylinders to the back plate.

rx7diver
Ahh ok, good to know. So really I’d have to get both eventually unless I plan on just diving with one or the other? Probably best I just get a single tank BPW and wait until I have more of a necessity for a two tank system.
Thanks!

I've a couple of backplates; one stainless steel (heavy) and one aluminium (light). The harnesses are identical.

When diving doubles, can use either, but have a double tank wing (Halcyon Evolve 40lb). For single tank diving, I can use either backplate with a single tank adapter, single tank wing (Halcyon Eclipse 30lb) and weight pockets on the cam bands.

Literally don't notice the difference in the water.

Most single tank wings have stabilizer bars now, obviating the need for a single-tank adapter. Such a wing will be more stable than using an STA as the tank lies closer to your back.

Probably best I just get a single tank BPW and wait until I have more of a necessity for a two tank system.

Yes, this is best. Just enjoy the trip, learn more, get comfortable in the water and explore your diving sites while having fun. You can start thinking about doubles when the time comes and it becomes apparent to you that you need to dive with doubles but not now.

Probably best I just get a single tank BPW and wait until I have more of a necessity for a two tank system.
I would say get the backplate that will work with doubles and a single-tank wing now. Get a doubles wing later. Something like this:

Never too early to think about diving doubles. When I’m wearing doubles, most likely it’s for a deco dive. A single for non-deco stuff. I carry about the same stuff for either. I sling a 40 with 100% O2 for deco and a 40 with 28% for non-deco single cylinder dives. You will see a strap attached to the left side of my plate and that is for my argon bottle. As I wear a drysuit sometimes with a single cylinder, I have one on that plate as well. If not needed, it folds down out of the way. Some run one plate with multiple wing options while others use multiple plate setups. My regulator setup is used for both so it makes it easier to run either one.
A2F18BAF-E989-42CC-93F3-0C5CD5B557A8.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom