Reccomendations on advanced training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would certainly be a different industry if all instructors thought the same way you do. It goes hand and hand with your post listing all the reasons why you dont have a shop. You're not stuck doing as the shop tells you to do. I've seen too many people with cards that they dont deserve them but scuba is a business whether we think of it that way or not and the shops are in it to make money, its not a non-profit organization.
As I begin to broaden my scuba horizons I have recently been introduced to a few 'independent' instructors and have definitely noticed a different mentality when it comes to giving out cards. Its a nice change and I hope they (you) dont cave to the pressures of certifying people. I have enjoyed going from agency to agency for the different cards that I hold as I feel I have gained a 'broader' view of skills and requirements thus making me (hopefully) a better rounded diver. I think its important to keep training and to dive with a variety of people trained in ways different from my own so as to learn from them also. A couple of months ago I watched an independent instructor out at Lake Pleasant doing OW certs and was pleasantly surprised in his high level of expectations of his students.

I just noticed I was rambling......oops.

Was hoping to do that damn dive you guys are planning but we're committed to being in California. That would be a good thing if we were actually going there to dive but we wont be :( Trying to talk hubby into buying a pontoon boat....maybe we could 'host' some damn dives next summer.....

Kaz

I definitely won't cave to pressures. I want safe divers out there. When I first got certified I was made to believe I had to get all my certs from one agency. I found out otherwise pretty quickly on my own, though. A broader view is great. That's why when I talk to my students, I let them know about the similarities and differences I'm aware of. A lot of our SI time is spent just BSing about diving and different methods. They come out with a lot more information than I did during most of my previous training.

Too bad you won't be diving that weekend. But do let me know if you get that pontoon! :D

An excellent option for advanced training in AZ is Joel Silverstein @ Tech Diving Limited, http://www.techdivinglimited.com . Shop is in Lake Havasu City, AZ, but Joel dives EVERYWHERE!

theskull

Joel is great! I plan on doing some dives with him eventually. I've spent quite a bit at his shop and even stopped in a couple of times. Joel has also taught me a few thing just in my stops at the shop. He's a natural teacher. However, he's probably a little too advanced for yoginidiver since a lot of what Joel does is tech training.

yoginidiver:
Howdy all -
My husband and I are somewhat newly-created dive-addicts, and need some reccomendations for advanced training here in AZ. He got his cert 10+ years ago and I about 6 months ago at a local shop.

At any rate, we both want to do some advanced training - not just advanced OW but really learn our stuff and we're not in a hurry (not looking for the fastest/cheapest - looking for intensive and honest) We're shopping around - any advice on the different offerings in town? Are there significant differences between PADI courses and SSI? Is one "better?" are they both recognized internationally equally? Any reccomendations for first-rate instructors? Any advice at all about anything? We want to hear what you think!

Cheers,
The Wrights

Hi!

We teach a class at Scuba Sciences that sounds like it would be perfect for you and your husband. We need Tuesdays most weeks with a Thursday night pool training session in there once a month. Our class is $250 per person, covers over 30 specialties and includes the classrooms, pools, textbooks. During the class we'll take you out to the ocean to practice some of the necessary skills. You can learn as little or as much as you want, but at least you can increase your knowledge about the various topics. Here are some of the topics we cover:

Advanced dive planning, aquatic first aid, beach, buddy team functioning, buoyancy, cave/cavern, cold water vs warm water, CPR, cylinders, deep, diving computers, dry suit, hazardous marine life, intro to Nitrox, intro to Dive Master, intro to Tech diving, limited vis, navigation, night, reef ecology, Public Safety diving, underwater hunting, u/w communications, u/w photo intro and more.

Our Expert Course is like no other course. We have a special rating just for our customers / students that finish this as an Expert (this was approved from SSI).

We split the classes between our two stores, the students really enjoy the class and learn a lot! Once you are finished with this class you can continue on to the Dive Master Course or Sport dive with a lot of confidence and knowledge!

To answer your question about SSI / PADI from what I understand Padi does not require Instructors to work through a store, but SSI does.

Please visit our website for more details.

Happy Halloween!
Plan your dive, dive your plan and be safe!

Tina Lowe
Scuba Sciences, Inc.

I was gonna say somethin' but I changed my mind.

We're new divers who trained with Scuba Specialities. We found their instructors to be very thorough, patient, and attentive. I initially had some issues with claustrophobia and our instructor just kept working with me until I got over it and got everything right. I don't know if they are the right answer for everybody, but we thought they were first rate.

yoginidiver:
I was gonna say somethin' but I changed my mind.

You (almost) took the words right out of my mouth.

:bandsmlz:

I have had a wonderful experience with Scuba Sciences' SSI continuing education program. There are so many different things you can learn about diving. The classes are lectures and pools, so you actually get to practice what you learn. The classes are also on a rotation, so you can jump in at any time. The instructors are very knowledgable and captivating. I now wonder what I might have missed in diving had I not taken these classes.

missy01:
I have had a wonderful experience with Scuba Sciences' SSI continuing education program. There are so many different things you can learn about diving. The classes are lectures and pools, so you actually get to practice what you learn. The classes are also on a rotation, so you can jump in at any time. The instructors are very knowledgable and captivating. I now wonder what I might have missed in diving had I not taken these classes.
Point of Information: MISSY01 is the Office Manager of Scuba Sciences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom