Rebuilding a J-valve......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got this 1978 steel tank and I would like to rebuild the valve, it is a PITA to turn the metal knob so I figured I needed a rebuild. I have searched on line with no success, and I've got a buddy that works in a LDS checking. Anybody have knowledge of where I could find this carrier pigeon? TIA.

Which valve? Almost all of the manufactures had their own valves and most of them also had several models. There are some USD manuals (and maybe more I did not look) in the manuals section at Vintage Double Hose.

Herman, I'm realizing that as I search. Based on the pictures I've seen on eBay etc it is a Dacor/seamco J-valve with burst disk. It has a knurled round knob. Thanks.

A little clarification please, do you want to rebuild the entire valve or just replace the knob?
My intent is to rebuild the valve so it is easier to turn. While smooth it is too stiff.

Sent from my DROID X2

From your description it does sound like a Dacor. The
knurled round knob is a fairly good clue that it is a Dacor, but a picture would help.

Dacor valves were made by Sherwood-Selpac (before Sherwood sold Scuba gear under their own name). I am not positive, but I have a very strong suspicion that the internal parts of the shot off valve are interchangeable with Sherwood valves.

I don't think you will be able to find parts for t
he reserve side, other than the seals, but I dough that you will need anything else.

Like Luis said, the internal parts for the valve should be the same. You could get a rebuild kit from Northeast Scuba Supply. As for the reserve mechanism, new replacements are difficult to find. Last time I checked, aqualung still had some new mechanisms in stock, since the manifolds the military use are still J-valve. But I think they wanted around $100 each for them. You would have to check with a AL dealer.

Not much difference in new and old valves, if you have rebuilt one you should be able to rebuild any of them without needing a manual for each. The actual J mechanism almost never need replacing, just new seals or O rings. As was mentioned Northeast Scuba Supply is a good source for seals.

Back
Top Bottom