Rebuild a Conshelf XIV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stopped in at the nearest dive shop today in preparation for my first trip back to the Bahamas since COVID hit. I asked about having an “annual” service to my trusty old Conshelf XIV, but was told they are no longer supported and I can’t have that done. Is this true? Although my 14 is probably at least 35 years or more old, it only has about 300 or so dives on it and I’d love to get at least one more trip out of it. Can anyone put me in contact with a shop still servicing them? Thanks in advance for any help!
Froggie
I service them all the time www.diverdown.com email me at diver1969s@yahoo.com Jerrie

Hi Jerrie and thanks for the reply. I don't have a dive store in town and have to go about 70 miles North or the same distance West to a neighboring city to find one. It turns out that one to the West that I’ve rediscovered is still servicing older USD gear. At this point, the only problem I’m having is finding original rubber Exhaust Ts for my 1085 second stages. One is cracked slightly on the lip and one is split all the way through on one side. I don’t suppose you have one or two of those laying around do you? Fortunately, a correspondent on here is doing 3D printing if necessary.
🐸

I should have given credit where it’s due. This forum is an extremely rich source of assistance both in information and physical materials, especially @robsingler, @James79, and @Sensorone, who have all been most helpful with finding needed parts and services. I am developing a network of super great contacts and I am now equipped to do most if not all of the minor maintenance the old Conshelf series requires... except for those cotton pickin’ Exhaust Ts! One of my e-friends (whose name I will keep hidden until he gives permission to reveal who he is) can make some modern replicas but I hate to impose and original is , well... original! 😉. Thanks again guys!

FWIW, I’m starting to discover some obscure (at least to the general public) companies that specialize in the more esoteric and specialized equipment and parts. Most recently I’ve discovered Dive Gear Express, and I can tell already they’ve got a lot of stuff I “need”. I just keep hoping Vintage Double Hose will re-emerge as a parts source

Froggie

I stopped in at the nearest dive shop today in preparation for my first trip back to the Bahamas since COVID hit. I asked about having an “annual” service to my trusty old Conshelf XIV, but was told they are no longer supported and I can’t have that done. Is this true? Although my 14 is probably at least 35 years or more old, it only has about 300 or so dives on it and I’d love to get at least one more trip out of it. Can anyone put me in contact with a shop still servicing them? Thanks in advance for any help!
Froggie
Greetings ‘Froggie’ ,
Try calling Tarpoon Skin Diving Center in Hialeah, FL after 10am on a Wed. Or a Fri. Ask for Stephanie. I believe she may be able to help you. If she can, you will have to ship to her. She can give you any details. She is very thorough. If you need additional info, please DM me or text my phone.

Scott G. Bonser 🐸 g f i t p💦

@rsingler, I was hoping you would show up on this thread.

This same question comes up way too often, about the Conshelf.

Considering that even all the latest 2023 Aqualung (diaphragm fist stage) regulators use the exact same replacement HP seat as the Conshelf, it is very hard to sy that they don't produce parts for it anymore...

Basically as long as Aqualung is in business, they will continue to produce the typical replacement parts for the Conshelf.
Luis, I too have found this to be the case many times. For me it was AMF Voit MR12 II.1970s vintage. 🙂

Update to previous. Earlier this afternoon I spoke with AquaTech Scuba Service of Raleigh, NC and was told by their tech that of course they could still service it and took my number. an hour later I got a call back from the lady who arranges shipping, etc who said that Aqua Lung had discontinued support of all of the Conshelf and earlier second stages as of the end of 2022 and parts were no longer available. Apparently the first stage is still OK, but not the second! Upon further questioning she admitted that the Military/Professional Conshelf 14s were still available new and were the same thing, but that they no longer "could" work on them.

Meanwhile, the folks at my choice of dive operations in the Bahamas have become irregular in booking diving packages... apparently they only book room and dive packages when they get a large enough group to make it worth their while. If the rest of my trip doesn't continue to fall through, I'll be in touch with one of you kind folks who has volunteered to take the job. Regardless, thanks again to all who responded!

Froggie
Another good source…

Froggie
At Diverdowndhr we rebuild the 14 all the time give me a buzz at 419-534-0714 Jerrie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom