Rebreathers - What's the total cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine is not called a yellow box of debt without reason. However, the benefits are real.

Here is the tinker scrounge point of view. I bought a Russian military surplus rebreather, $1000, convert to mCCR $2000. End of discussion. I pay about $75 for 40# of sodasorb, I get O2 for $25/250 ft3--this costs about so about $15 per dive. You may want some training, and if you buy a new unit chances are it will be required. If you are considering a RB you will have a stage set up sitting around, so you don't need to buy that again.
Then I bought a rEvo, this was about $7k, and the training was included--this was a special offer. I think $1400 is retail for this training.
There are some benefits to RB diving--You have "perfect nitrox" or trimix a each depth so your NDL is generally longer or your decompression is shorter. Your gas consumption is depth independent. If you are using helium, then you may save a lot of $$$. The first time I dove a RB was almost as profound as as the first time you breath underwater OC--Silent, no bubbles. Fish love you--I was followed around a lake by a bass for about an hour.
I am selling my Orca for less thank $2000, add a couple of parts and you would have a nice working mCCR--say less than $2500.
Where their is a will there is a way.
Of course there are cheaper ways of killing ones self, be careful.

You get what you pay for??? You have to pay to play?

The only free thing in this world is love......and then if you stop to think about that...

You got dinners, movies, jewelry, divorce costs, alimony, child support, mental anguish etc...

so....suddenly that rebreather doesnt look soo bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom