rebreathers and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have worked pretty hard to obtain good trim on OC......and with a CCR I know its not gonna be like that at first...but the majority of pictures I see with people on rebreathers either upright, kneeling, or not soo good trim...swimming along at 45 degree angles...

Is it possible to dive this things with a nice horizontal trim/balance? Please provide pics if you have them...make me feel better. :)

J

Yes, it is. Have a look at my avatar.

Here is a link to a photo of Heather and I on the Empire Mica (thanks Barney) where our trim is pretty horizontal.

Fact is that most RB divers (like most divers in general) don't concern themselves with keeping nice horizontal trim all the time.

Brian

That's a question I'm anxious to hear the answer to, as well. Seems like I read a post around here somewhere that mentioned staying head-up to prevent water migration, but that seems like a design flaw to me.

'Course, what do I know, being a RB Wannabe...

Well, I guess that is just my ignorance thinking that if you go through the $$, the training, the commitment to own and dive a rebreather you would atleast have decent trim. Thanks for the pictures...I wish that was the norm.

O2, I have read as well on some models that staying upright is best when you have water in the loop...but if you dont have any water in there...than I dont see why you wouldnt want to be trim. I'm sure this is just another learning curve with rebreathers..weight positioning. I'm still trying to setup a dive on one..hopefully I can get that knocked out soon.

jepuskar:
I'm still trying to setup a dive on one..hopefully I can get that knocked out soon.

Check out this thread. I know it's in Florida, but it would be a great chance to see a whole bunch of units at once. This kind of thing doesn't happen often so they're good to jump on when you can. Alternatively, if you can round up a group of like-minded folks in your area, then perhaps Curt would come to you.

Never hurts to ask.

Brian

Jason, the trim does depend both on the skill of the diver as well as the rebreather that is being used. When the counterlungs come over the shoulder the position of the diver in the water shouldn't matter much, at least that's my experience from diving the PRISM. Left to right does make a difference of course.

Things are different when you use a rebreather with rear mounted counterlung(s). They usually have a 'sweet spot' where the least hydrostatic difference between lungs and counterlung(s) offers the best work of breathing. If you look at different RB designs you'll see the CL are in different position. On the Dolphin and Azimuth high up towards your shoulder, on the MK series pretty much all across your back, on the Sport Kiss in the small of your back, on the RB80 all the way down by your butt. Each of them has a sweet spot, and on each of them it's gonna be a different one. Takes just few minutes of trying and you'll find it.

Another factor of course is trim balance, the Inspo for example has a weight pouch on top of the case, the PRISM one behind each counterlung (I use 5 lbs on each side), the MK has a trim weight bolted into the top of the case, the Azi has the huge ss handle on top. Bit harder on the Dolphin, no place provided as far as I recall. No issue with the Sport Kiss, the lungs are on the bottom where the valves are, as well as the normal weights. Kinda balanced itself pretty much.

I'm sure you've seen plenty of pics of RB80 divers in perfectly horizontal trim.
I dive the Sport Kiss fairly close to it. Having played with a MK16 in the pool I remember being able to get fairly close, but probably was another 10 degrees or so off horizontal for comfort. The Atlantis/Dolphin units I tried over the years where more in the neighborhood of what you mentioned, I would guess about 40 degrees. You dive where you breath the most comfortable.

Tried uploading pics, but that never seems to work here at Scubaboard. :(
If it's important PM me your e-mail adress and I can send them.

Nah, thats ok....it is just important to me to have good trim, so I was curious.

Brian, I was really close to signing up for that yesterday, but there is a shop in MN that is a drive away from me that will do private try out sessions..which is more my style. I like one-on-one attention so the logistics of multiple people arent an issue.

I'm just waiting on an email response...in fact..I think I just may call them now. :)

jepuskar:
I have worked pretty hard to obtain good trim on OC......and with a CCR I know its not gonna be like that at first...but the majority of pictures I see with people on rebreathers either upright, kneeling, or not soo good trim...swimming along at 45 degree angles...

Is it possible to dive this things with a nice horizontal trim/balance? Please provide pics if you have them...make me feel better. :)

J

Are you looking at those pictures of the guys on the Ouroboros? :D
I will repeat myself "not very pretty".

http://www.ccrb.co.uk/gallerys/redsea2005.html

I like that picture of Benthic and Heather! Nice trim + scooters!!! Life is good!

Mr.X:
Are you looking at those pictures of the guys on the Ouroboros? :D
I will repeat myself "not very pretty".

http://www.ccrb.co.uk/gallerys/redsea2005.html

Ugh. That is not how we dive, that's for damn sure. Just like in open circuit, achieving trim means adjusting your weight distribution as appropriate to achieve the desired result.

sheboygan-18sep2006-01.jpg

Warren_L:
Ugh. That is not how we dive, that's for damn sure. Just like in open circuit, achieving trim means adjusting your weight distribution as appropriate to achieve the desired result.

sheboygan-2006-01.jpg

That is an absolutely beautiful shot!!! I think it should be the opening slide to any powerpoint lecture called "Rebreathers, Why We Love Em'"...or alternatively "Wreck Paradise!"

X!!!

Back
Top Bottom