rebreathers and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It takes a while to get sorted out on any new unit.
I have been able to get in good trim on a dolphin by wearing the unit high on my back.
The sport kiss was easy to trim out on as it is so light.
The meg took a while but I have it down after 60 or so hours.
I am leaving to warmer parts next month so I spend some hours in the pool getting sorted out and guess what?
I sucked, at least for the first hour or so.

Warren_L:
Ugh. That is not how we dive, that's for damn sure. Just like in open circuit, achieving trim means adjusting your weight distribution as appropriate to achieve the desired result.

sheboygan-18sep2006-01.jpg

Lovely shot Warren, but I can't help but wonder about the bubbles.
You know the saying "If it makes bubbles it's probably broken":D

jepuskar:
Hey Warren, what's with all the bubbles? :)

I dunno, I was focused on taking a picture at that moment. :wink:

I guess he must have pressed the purge on his bailout, judging from where the bubbles are coming from. Either that or it's coming out of his butt dump on the drysuit. :D

caveseeker7:
Having played with a MK16 in the pool I remember being able to get fairly close, but probably was another 10 degrees or so off horizontal for comfort. The Atlantis/Dolphin units I tried over the years where more in the neighborhood of what you mentioned, I would guess about 40 degrees. You dive where you breath the most comfortable.

Hey Stefan, do you know if the MKs were meant to be dived more verticaly due to the mine clearing mission? I've heard this from several different people, wonder how true it is. It would make sense then having BMCLs covering most of the back and the chest area free. The WOB is probably better in a more vertical position, too.

Another thing about CCR trim is that if your unit can work with the tank valves up at the top, horizontal trim will be easier to maintain. But then the issue is how easy is it to reach the valves in that position. It's crucial that the valves be easy to reach for leaking gas, stuck solenoids, forgetting to turn the gas on and jumping in...

silent running:
Hey Stefan, do you know if the MKs were meant to be dived more verticaly due to the mine clearing mission?
Dunno, never disposed of explosive ordnance (unless you count dumping some of my exes :D ).
Ask at RBW, there are 4 or 5 former EOD divers, they should know.

The MK does breath well in that position, and on my Carleton MK16 EOD T-shirt the diver does hover in a vertical position next to mine ... .

I tell you. :shakehead

Some were nowhere near trim, others have uncomfortable high WOB (work of booty), they do have long duration though. I was usually exhausted before they were. But the constant fiddling, seemingly endless pre-dive procedures, always having to watch them so they don't bite you in the arse. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort, especially when all you want is a little dip. One thing is certain, it really makes you appreciate the simplicity of OC (owners ceremony). :rofl3:

caveseeker7:
I tell you. :shakehead

Some were nowhere near trim, others have uncomfortable high WOB (work of booty), they do have long duration though. I was usually exhausted before they were. But the constant fiddling, seemingly endless pre-dive procedures, always having to watch them so they don't bite you in the arse. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the effort, especially when all you want is a little dip. One thing is certain, it really makes you appreciate the simplicity of OC (owners ceremony). :rofl3:

You're killing me dead... he he he!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom