rebreathers and trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to think for a while what to do with the counterlung tie-downs when I swapped to the backplate. With the stock harness, the tie-down straps came up from the waist harness by the weight pockets. One of my biggest peeves about the original harness setup were all the freakin straps that had to be clipped and tightened. It was just far too messy for my liking.

So when I went with the hogarthian backplate and harness system, I webbed up a backplate as I normally would. I did concede and put one shoulder clip on the right side of the harness, as getting in and out of the harness with the loop and counterlungs in the way was just too much work. But as far as a failure point is concerned, I'm not too worried about it since it does not bear weight underwater and if it's going to fail, it will be while I am standing in the unit out of the water - and at that, the left side has no clip, so no biggie.

As for the counter lungs, I fashioned a dual clip system that threads through the loop of the crotch strap and comes up and clips one side to each counterlung. It's really clean, no excess strappage from the tie-downs and crotch strap itself. If I remember, I'll post a pic of it later on. I had standard waist d-rings for clipping off my bailouts, but for the shoulder d-rings, I use special under-counterlung d-rings that extend laterally from the harness so the d-ring clears the counterlungs, which lie on top of the harness. Other than that, the harness is pretty well the same as on my open circuit rig.

Here are the tiedowns on the crotch strap.

evo-cl-tiedowns.jpg

caveseeker7:
Never had a problem with that, not in the pool with a 3mm shorty nor in the sea with a drysuit. Balanced beautifully with the CL pouches loaded.

The Greywolf stuff is nice and well made, but not for me.
For the price you can have Enrique at DES make you a full metal frame with cover that's at least as well finished, and for much less you can have a frame that travels better and can take the stock cowling. I'd take either one over the Greywolf plates (or stock plate, for that matter).

Hmmm... God bless ya. I had a bit of trouble with the trim even with the CL pockets loaded. Don't have that problem anymore though. Who is DES? I've never heard of him or her or them. My instuctor was a friend of David Weber's so he recomended him. I have no complaints with it. He makes a cowling for it that fits perfectly. He also makes a short plate system with a removable argon holder. He makes them in aluminum and titanium also. They're great for when your traveling.

Diving Equipment Specialties - http://www.techdivetools.com/

Enrique has adapted the Inspo frame once before, it's one VERY SOLID frame.
When I first saw David's backplate I liked it, too, until he mentioned the $1500 price tag for the titanium version. Don't remember if that was in- or excluding the $300+ harness and however much the $$$ custom cowling was. Don't think they were part of it ... anyway, struck me as rather expensive. :shrug:

Even now you can order a titanium frame for the rEvo mCCR (not unllike the frame used in the Classic Kiss, containing the backmounted lungs) for €700. More work, more material used, I just don't think you get your money's worth from Greywolf. But the frames are nice. Just really don't like the way those metal pins for attaching the custom cowling stick out against the BC bladder. For that money I'd expect there to be cutouts in the frame that can be used to secure the bungie loops without rubbing away on the bladder.

At the time the DES case actually was a few bucks less, used more titanium and considerably more craftsmanship with all the welding required. Which is truly excellent. Titanium isn't that easy to work with. That case offers better protection to the head, wings and ring than anything else I've seen.

The only one I know of was John Taylor, alas he wasn't very happy with PRISM. Never heard him say anything bad about the DES case, just the unit itself didn't work for him. The guy who bought it dives it with a fairly stock setup. Don't know what happened with case. If John has pictures of it I haven't seen them.

If weight and size are the highest priority, the frame that James Tovall and his buddy built are the best solution I've seen. Can be used with stock BCD or bp/w and fits the original cowling. One shouldn't have a problem fitting it in a carry-on with some space left for other expensive bits.

http://www.rebreatherworld.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=3527
http://www.rebreatherworld.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=3528

Well, if you're up this way, we'll get you out to Brockville or Kingston for some dives!

Personally I dont care for the way the bottles are attatched on that plate. The Grey Wolf plate actually holds the bottles inside the lip and has a cowling that goes over the whole thing. It's a nice streamlined system. However, that plate looks more compact. Like everything it's a matter of preference I guess.

Back
Top Bottom