Rebreather regrets??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
Well thanks to alot of great posts I think I really have decided on the prism. The only thing I am thinking now is if its worth buying. I mean I will have spent in the area of 10K bucks for the unit and I am just wondering if its worth it. I probably dive 50 to 100 times a year (hopefully will be closer to 100 this year). But there also is the hassles of traveling with the unit, finding the materials you need, filling odd sized tanks with irregular fitting, finding buddies to dive with, ect. Does anyone out there regret buying a scr or ccr finding that it was just too much of a hassle?

You'll only regret it on the way to and from the airport.

I have found it changes the way I travel and select dive destinations. First priority decide on the place to dive, then figure out if any one has trips planned over the next year or two... not as spontaneous but much easier and fun to join a rebreather group than deal with logistics of o2 & Sorb on your own.

I've even heard that a few CCR divers will dive O/C from time to time, if they HAVE too.

Do plan for the occasional overweight bag charges depending on restrictions and regs! Maybe not with a Prism, but a destination like Bikini has a limit of 40lbs, ha! I couldn't even get a couple regs and camera gear down to that weight limit.

You'll have a blast!

zaf88:
Well thanks to alot of great posts I think I really have decided on the prism. The only thing I am thinking now is if its worth buying. I mean I will have spent in the area of 10K bucks for the unit and I am just wondering if its worth it. I probably dive 50 to 100 times a year (hopefully will be closer to 100 this year). But there also is the hassles of traveling with the unit, finding the materials you need, filling odd sized tanks with irregular fitting, finding buddies to dive with, ect. Does anyone out there regret buying a scr or ccr finding that it was just too much of a hassle?

I can't comment on the travelling issue because I do most of my diving around home so fills are easy. I am still new at CCR diving so any divers deeper than 150ft I do with OC gear, otherwise my RB gets used the most.

zaf88:
Traveling really isn't that big an issue, although planning is a bit different.. First you chose your destination, then start sending emails and phone calls to see if you can get 100% oxygen (for a ccr) and if they stock sorb.. If you cant find a store with sorb you can always take it with you or ship it ahead..
Oxygen isnt that big a deal, even if there isn;t a dive store taht can pump it.. just get a medical to din adapter and go to the local hospital.. most places OUTSIDE of the US will fill it..

I have never had a problem with weight restrictions (although bikini would be tough without paying extra fees), lear to use the baggage aloowances to your advantage.. max out 2 dive bags, plus put the real heavy stuff in your carry on most places do not weigh the carry on unless it looks heavy.. Also remember you are also generally allowed 1 personal carry on extra like a laptop bag.. put stuuff in there as well...

If all else fails, just pack a bathing suit and 1 or 2 pieces of clothes you can always pick up a few t-shirts on vactaion and if you are in a poor country give it to the locals when you leave.. They will appreciate it..

I travel with my inspiration, lots of tools and spares, 3 sets of regs for bailout bottles, a full set of camera gear, my laptop, and have never paid an overweight fee (except to Manado which had a total limit of 35kg, and I traveled with much more gear than normal)..

Hello zaf88, I certainly don't regret my rebreather purchase. In fact, I think it's the most satisfying big purchase I've ever made. I originally got into rebreathers because I wanted to see more wildlife. It's a night and day difference in terms of what and how many more animals you will be able to interact with, compared to oc. For me that's enough of a reason right there. If you are a tech diver or planning to do some tech diving in the future, especially any diving that uses helium mixtures, it's a no brainer. The unit will eventually pay for itself. I wish there were more places that are rb friendly, but it just means you have to bring the stuff with you. The Ambient Pressure web site has a list of rb friendly resorts. And there are a few rb friendly liveaboards, which tend to be in the better places anyway. I too only get to dive a couple of times a year, but if you choose a liveaboard you'll be able to get in many more hrs than a land based op. By the way, if you can get in on a group of people purchasing a Prism, you can save some money. I took my class with 3 other people and we saved $1000 each off the purchase price. I'm pretty sure SMI still do this discount for groups. So I wound up paying $8000 for training and the unit. You can't even buy a decent new motorcycle for that.-Andy

zaf88:

I think you will be really happy, even if you only do 50 dive's a year. Breathing that warm moist air, getting up close to the marine life, no more lugging around these big steel tanks to do the deeper dive's, no bubble's blowing in your face, all that noise, the list goes on and on.

I just bought my first rebreather as well, and after only a few month's being certified SCR rebreather, im all ready looking at the Inspiration and other CCR option's, i love the Silent world of diving, im hooked!!!

Good luck with your purchase, let us know how it goes, im sure you'll be happy, enjoy your new rebreather!

I am so impressed by the rebreather diving after watching a cave diving episode from "Deep Sea Detective." However, I also find out that it is a really big buck to invest.
How about the maintenance cost and durability of the unit?

Thanks in advance,

hoosier:
I am so impressed by the rebreather diving after watching a cave diving episode from "Deep Sea Detective." However, I also find out that it is a really big buck to invest.
How about the maintenance cost and durability of the unit?
In that show they used Inspiration CCRs which between $7,300 and $10,000.
CCRs in general are available between $4,500 and well over $10,000, even used ones, depending on model.

Training cost is usually between $1,000 and $1,500, but varies from instructor and to a lesser extend, unit.

Operating costs are annual replacement O2 cells (around $240), gas (of which you'll loose considerably less and will save when compared to nitrox or he mixes) and batteries (they vary a lot, from $3 9V to custom build and potted battery packs).

Maintainance is more expensive, you'll need O2 compatible lube, plenty of O-rings, have to get the 2 regs serviced and tanks checked, and there are more parts that will eventually wear (e.g. breathing hoses).
But cost for units vary quite a bit due to very different design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom