Rebreather, i said hubby can have one and now i worry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to figure out who is more excited about this purchase Mr or Mrs Almity.....
You are both welcome to have a play on the Meg, maybe Mrs a Sport Kiss might be a nicer unit for yourself much lighter and compact and so simple to use.

Whos is that Optima it looks like a clown car :wink:

Shall we bring the FFM's over for the Meg, I am Sure Mr would look the goods
http://www.uwphotog.com/galleries/deco/slides/DSC00357.html

Cheers
Chriso

:wavey: all

well last night was a PRISM trydive and i must admit,i had no expections when i went in to see it but its a nice little uni. hubby said, for him, the prism was easier to manouver around in both on the surface and below than the optima

we both agree that when setting it up it looks like a bit of a dog but once its all set up the way you'ld like it comes together quite nicely

plus: i like the radial scrubber & the electronics (im finally learning something!)
negs: the alum tanks means you have 20lbs of lead and yes you can change the tanks over but then you cant have the standard cowling. not pretty looking with all the hoses ect while setting up

Prism5.jpg

Prism4.jpg

Prism6.jpg

now its a matter of waitiing for March 17th OzTek to play with the MEG and then hubby will be placing an order........ for which unit? still up for grabs (Chrisso...hubby easily influenced by free tshirts :wink: )

in the meantime.... as i learn more... im getting more curious for myself! :11:

cheers

almitywife:
in the meantime.... as i learn more... im getting more curious for myself! :11:

cheers

Education can be a very expensive thing :wink: Discount for multiple units? :winky:

Missdirected:
Education can be a very expensive thing :wink: Discount for multiple units? :winky:

Maybe they offer a buy one get one free deal :popcorn:

The Prism is certainly a strong contender with the radial scrubber and simple electronics. It's also a very comfortable breather too - inhale/exhale cycle. As you noticed, the lightness has to be compensated with gobs of weight. However, a metal frame can take away some of the inherent buoyancy of the Prism. Lead times can be a little rough though.

I hope the Meg. scores as favorably, or better during Oztek. Without reservation I can say that the robust build quality, modular design and electronics are huge selling points, as are the ergonomics of the unit. My team will be using several Megs shortly for an expedition where "tough" and reliability are important on a daily basis.

I look forward to you next stab at RB's.

X

There is at least one radial scrubber for the Meg for sale today and hopefully a couple new ones from ISC directly before DEMA (insert year).

I'll tell my buddy Ron, who will be manning the ISC booth at OzTek, to tell you all about it. Just tell him Spidy sent you when you see him.

Not that there is anything wrong w/ the other RBs.....

[HIJACK]Wasn't spidy a shady character from Dances with Wolves?[/HIJACK]

almitywife:
hi all

so - hubby finally worn me down and i said yes, he can have a rebreather. he is try-diving this summer and in December will place an order with the hopes it will be delivered in June.

im happy for him (as i want him to have things that make him happy) but now i find im getting worried about the stupid box.

i keep being reminded of all the stupid box deaths and how most of them are caused by little things. ive already told him that i wont allow him to go below 30mtrs/90ft with the thing (which he didnt argue with me) but thats no guarantee becuase i know of one death that happened in a LDS pool

i dont know much about rebreathers now - and i think part of my getting over my fear is to study and learn about the equipment.

the reason he wants the box is that hubby is a photographer and wants to be in the water for longer and in a position of taking better photos without scareing the fish he tells me.

he is very anal about putting his camera rig together and i do believe he will be the same, if not more so with the box of death. i can honestly say this equipment isnt about bs-bravado with him, he finally finishing Uni in June (hes being doing it part time for the past 6yrs & working full time & teaching) i think hes wanting a new aspect of study but making it fun also.

i suppose the first thing is i have to stop referring to it as the 'box of death'!!!

this post is more for my venting and putting it out there - but maybe other divers have some advice from when their other half took up deep/wrecks/rebreathers and if they had problems with it.

cheers
Hi
You should look into the COPIS mini megalodon. It is the rebreather that I dive. I am a very simple girl, so I do not need all the electronics, it is a very basic rebreather and easy to dive. check out rebreatherworld ..... i have so much fun diving my mini meg. Besides the weight of my rebreather is about 46 to 52 lbs. and it is affordable:D

:happywave Patti! youre often mentioned when hubby and talk about a MEG!! (kinda famous actually)

well hubby should be trying out the MEG March 17th and he has just made contact with the only MEG user in sydney (Donar or Dontal or soemthing like that on rebreatherworld) so in 2 weeks time the decision will be made and the order placed

geez, where did all the time go???

thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom