Rebreather, i said hubby can have one and now i worry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
hi all

so - hubby finally worn me down and i said yes, he can have a rebreather. he is try-diving this summer and in December will place an order with the hopes it will be delivered in June.

im happy for him (as i want him to have things that make him happy) but now i find im getting worried about the stupid box.

i keep being reminded of all the stupid box deaths and how most of them are caused by little things. ive already told him that i wont allow him to go below 30mtrs/90ft with the thing (which he didnt argue with me) but thats no guarantee becuase i know of one death that happened in a LDS pool

i dont know much about rebreathers now - and i think part of my getting over my fear is to study and learn about the equipment.

the reason he wants the box is that hubby is a photographer and wants to be in the water for longer and in a position of taking better photos without scareing the fish he tells me.

he is very anal about putting his camera rig together and i do believe he will be the same, if not more so with the box of death. i can honestly say this equipment isnt about bs-bravado with him, he finally finishing Uni in June (hes being doing it part time for the past 6yrs & working full time & teaching) i think hes wanting a new aspect of study but making it fun also.

i suppose the first thing is i have to stop referring to it as the 'box of death'!!!

this post is more for my venting and putting it out there - but maybe other divers have some advice from when their other half took up deep/wrecks/rebreathers and if they had problems with it.

cheers

eat some tim tams and all will be ok :wink: :wink:

Bry - what part of "woman's views" dont you get :D, you very cheeky boy!

although, i see more men than woman post here :)

chocolates are bad, m'kay - im down 80lbs now!

almitywife:
he is very anal about putting his camera rig together and i do believe he will be the same, if not more so with the box of death.
That is very important. Having the right personality for the care and feeding of a rebreather is very important for safety (and is the reason you won't see me with one .... I'm just too relaxed about diving to be using rebreathers).

Another problem is that he "wants to be in the water for longer and in a position of taking better photos without scareing the fish". This will probably lead him down the path of solo diving, where any rebreather malfunction or medical problem would occur without anyone else around. The solution for that of course, is GET ANOTHER ONE FOR YOURSELF (and make him do all the prep work on the unit). :)

almitywife:
Bry - what part of "woman's views" dont you get :D, you very cheeky boy!

although, i see more men than woman post here :)

chocolates are bad, m'kay - im down 80lbs now!

My man card was revoked in MOF/NMOF so i decided to hang out over here instead of the rest of the forum . . .

If you watch Howard Hall, or other RB equipped videographers/photogs they have backup people with them. With photography and videography you have to have a certain level of myopia. A HUD (heads up display) equipped RB would be a step in the right direction, and perhaps an audible alarm. When conditions are tough I have a backup person watching me.

Personally, I never found OC to be too restrictive other than scaring off some bubble-shy critters. You always knew your mix. But then again, you always have to monitor your gas consumption.

Another comes over to the dark side...... :anakinpod

So some advice. One, join rebreatherworld.com. Lots of information, some good and some bad but definitely the stuff that makes you think of things outide the ordinary. And, there are some good deals on used units you may want to look at. I believe there were one or two in Australia.

Second, realize that he will make a mistake at some point with the unit. We all did and still do. But with proper training :director: , contant drilling :sprite10: and a vigilante mind :1book: , these mistakes are spotted and corrected before they become an incident. And then these mistakes are generally never done again.

And not all mistakes are major incidents. You'll hear about people that forgot this or left that and at worst, they get to watch the bubbles of other divers. Of all the incidents I've read about, the only one that I know of that couldn't be prevented or spotted by training and good habits is having a heart attack while diving.

Finally, might I suggest that you go and watch his pool sessions. I think when you see the training and here some facts, you'll feel better about stealth box of fun. :happywave

webhead:
Another comes over to the dark side...... :anakinpod

So some advice. One, join rebreatherworld.com. Lots of information, some good and some bad but definitely the stuff that makes you think of things outide the ordinary. And, there are some good deals on used units you may want to look at. I believe there were one or two in Australia.

Second, realize that he will make a mistake at some point with the unit. We all did and still do. But with proper training :director: , contant drilling :sprite10: and a vigilante mind :1book: , these mistakes are spotted and corrected before they become an incident. And then these mistakes are generally never done again.

And not all mistakes are major incidents. You'll hear about people that forgot this or left that and at worst, they get to watch the bubbles of other divers. Of all the incidents I've read about, the only one that I know of that couldn't be prevented or spotted by training and good habits is having a heart attack while diving.

Finally, might I suggest that you go and watch his pool sessions. I think when you see the training and here some facts, you'll feel better about stealth box of fun. :happywave

Great advice! I think you should do that Almity...go to the pool sessions that is.

why not get herself one . . . That may make him stop for a second. . . :wink:

jhbryaniv:
why not get herself one . . . That may make him stop for a second. . . :wink:

I think Almity is serious here and someone already mentioned getting one for her :wink:

Back
Top Bottom