Rebreather, i said hubby can have one and now i worry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
"box of debt" is another one that i've heard.

nobody has died yet on a KISS unit. it also seems like flying eCCR units like an mCCR unit and trying to stay ahead of the electronic controller seems to be correlated with safer eCCR diving...
Very similar to the "not dive your computer mentality". Oh yeah, also saves on battery life.:D

shellig:
webhead-- I hope you meant vigilant... not vigilante :)

That's what I meant. The other one is for my superhero forum. :wink:

People fear what they don't understand. This is true of many things related to SCUBA both open and closed circuit. The best way to allay your fears is (as others have said) to participate in the 'learning journey' that your husband will undertake as he begins trying to choose a CCR. As you both learn about them, he'll be better equipped to choose the unit that's best for him and you'll better understand his motivations for choosing to dive a CCR as well as which CCR he ultimately winds up with.

Others have suggested joining Rebreather World, which I would totally agree with. It's a community of very friendly people who love to answer questions and discuss all things RB.

One thing I have not seen suggested yet is to get, and read a copy of Jeff Bozanic's Mastering Rebreathers. The title is a bit of an overstatement, but nevertheless it is full of all sorts of great information about rebreathers. It includes some history, basic dive planning, as well as information about various RB features and designs. In addtion to answering lots of your questions, it will likely make the conversations on Rebreather World seem less cryptic.

Another thing that others have suggested is going to the pool sessions with your hubby. I'd take that one step further and suggest that you participate in one or two of the try dives that he is sure to do. Most RB instructors will conduct an "RB Experience" for those considering training and/or shopping around for a unit. Even if you have no intention of diving CCR yourself, it will likely dispell some misconceptions by experiencing things first hand. You'll understand what it's like, how controlling the loop pO2 works, etc.

When maintaining an RB, the 'fidget factor' is certainly higher that with OC gear. It does need more attention. However, it is not the 'evil death machine' that many would have you believe that it is. I submit to you that those who categorically label them as "Boxes of Death" don't really understand them--they just think that they do.

My fiance and I have both made the switch to CCR relatively recently and we're very happy about it. It's great for the kind of diving we do. Given that we were both, very recently, in the position you and your husband are in now we remember it well. If there are questions that I might be able to answer for you, feel free to drop me a PM.

Brian

thank Ben, jason and web & web (did i forget anyone, sorry) - a nice change from the many pm's ive received about the ways my hubby is going to die

ive been lurking on rebreather world but very hesitate to stick my head up in case it gets bitten off so i iwll continue to lurk for now :wink: but i will take up that offer, if i have any questions i will be in contact!

my doing a try dive isnt something i haev thought about but now that yourve planed the seed..... will serioulsy think about it

almitywife:
my doing a try dive isnt something i haev thought about but now that yourve planed the seed..... will serioulsy think about it
I think it would be a great thing for you. However I do feel obligated to point out that rebreather try dives very often lead to the desire for a rebreather of one's own. :wink:

Seriously though--you'll find out what a rebreather is really like. You'll learn a bit about how it works, how it goes together and then how to dive it. You'll find out what managing the loop pO2 is really like (it's not the razor's edge balancing act that non-RB types often think it is), and what buoyancy, etc is really like.

All in all, I think it will be a great experience for you.

Brian

As others have said the folks on rebreatherworld are some of the nicest around, post an introduction and you'll get lots of positive responses, I have yet to see someone get their head bitten off over there for asking honest questions. Also try the article section over there also, lots of good information there too.

Go to the try dives and ask questions of his instructor. The instructor will understand and you'll feel alot more comfortable with your husband diving a rebreather. Remove the fear of the unknown, and one can understand the hazards of any activity and then work to minimize them. We were all probably nervous at one point before or during our open water class, but by taking the time gain education and experiance we moved past the fear to enjoyment - the same can happen with the rebreather.

Well, if all else fails, it's always your perogative to change your mind, isn't it?!

I understand people saying that you can't stop an adult from doing what he wants to do, but he does have certain legal and moral obligations to his family...not that you want to pull that cord, but there it is.

yep Kelp... if i put my foot down and said no way - out of respect for me im sure hubby wouldnt go down this path

just as he could play the "i want you to love and support me" card... works both ways

so im really starting to think of this as a partnership - i work to pay for it :D and he plays to enjoy it :D i sweat the bigger picture and he takes care of the small stuff.

i really dont have the attitude to own one of these things - but he has an enginering mind and wants to work on his artist side so im going to have faith in that. the fact that he says himself he wont take delivery until after he finishes his last uni exam (hes a returned aged student) helps me feel good about it as otherwised it would feel too rushed

im actually looking forward to next months trydives now!

Back
Top Bottom