Rebreather, i said hubby can have one and now i worry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife:
this post is more for my venting and putting it out there - but maybe other divers have some advice from when their other half took up deep/wrecks/rebreathers and if they had problems with it.

cheers

My advice is that you should not tell an adult of sound mind what they can and can not do.

My wife and I had a significant disagreement when I wanted to start cave diving.She thought she had a right to veto it. I disagreed!

Our compromise is that I will only do "tourist" caves.Which is all I ever wanted to do anyway.

She does not care for me solo diving either.

almitywife, I empathize a hundred percent.

My husband is a photographer. He is that on land, and he is that underwater. He wants silence and no bubbles so he can take better photographs. Currently, that quest has led him to buy a DA Aquamaster regulator, but he has said again and again that he sees a CCR in his future. It really terrifies me. I don't think the technology is really there, and there is too much dependence on an utterly anal and meticulous user. A life support machine with that much potential for user error is too risky for me, and I will NOT dive one. And I don't want to get that phone call, either.

But you can't control what adults do. Peter couldn't stop me from going DIR, and I won't be able to stop him from getting a CCR. All you can do is ask again and again, "Please be careful." And, when you can, watch the preparations and learn as much as you can to supervise and try to spot any oversights.

My sympathies.

thanks all - attending his pool sessions isnt something i thought of as i thought i would be in the naggy wife in the way BUT now rethinking this as i think getting to know the equipment is more important and to hell with the comments from the boys club

with his camera rig - its ALL white noise, i dont use them, i dont care about them so i dont pay attention - with a rebreather i now think im going to have to know almost as much just to get my head around the safty concerns i have

ian - i think all photographers in one way are solo divers so i expect that from hubby, on dives im sure he forgets im even there AND who said anything about him being sound of mind! :) heheheh, hubby told me today that part of CCR course is advance deco so although i said he not going deep he's going to have to to get the training for the CCR. fortunately, i know the diving he likes is not so deep with lots of pretty or interesting stuff to photo so except for the Coolidge in vanuatu he will stick to 90ft or shallower

hahah to the advice for me to get one also! i am so NOT the person to have one, my mind isnt that way inclined to be meticulous about every single thing

well ive decided to take some advise here and hubby is booked into his first try-dive day with a Inspo, Otp2ima (which he is NOT buying) and possibly a KISS on Nov 17th so im taking the day off work to go as well

as hubby said "you can ask all the wife suing questions"

still quite nervy about it but its gonig to happen so best to embrace the enemy i say

cheers

Hi almighty, I know this isn't really going to help, but don't worry too much. It could be, if it's not, a cause of friction. I'm sure you have, but just in case you haven't, try to communicate your reservations in a letter to him or direct him to read your concerns in your posts here. Sometimes, in some relationships or situations, verbal communication isn't as effective as we like. Also, while I don't know anything about CCRs but if you took the course together with him, you could both do buddy checks on the gear as an extra measure of safety precaution?

Rebreather silent world....your hubby going for semi closed rebreather or CC rebreather unit?
I understanding your situation, if you want know more about rebreather chat on Rebreather world - www.rebraetherworld.com
I strong agree with webhead mention need proper training, reading the manual try to know more about the strange unit, rebreather fundamental, bailout plan.
My opinion is ask your Instructor about each unit before buy.

Please go to link IANTD Rebreather info - http://www.iantd.com/rebreather/rb.html

Hey Jason, looks like a misspelling there..... www.rebreatherworld.com. Very good site. People there are better behaved than I expected.

Good to hear that he's going to try a couple units. Be sure that they explain the unit it him too, not necessarily to be safe in the pool but to get him exposure to more than one or 2 units. I believe the more rigs you can look at in detail and answer the "why they did this" question, the more you'll know about the practice in general and that will go long ways to being safe.

webhead:
...with proper training :director: , contant drilling :sprite10: and a vigilante mind :1book: , these mistakes are spotted and corrected before they become an incident. And then these mistakes are generally never done again...
webhead-- I hope you meant vigilant... not vigilante :)

Almitywife--
Sounds like you are being supportive and expressed your fears...ultimately his decision so all you can do is tell him your concerns to weigh in his decision making.
Good luck to you both!!

thanks guys...... ultimately its 'our' decision :D but i want for him what he wants so in his mind he is already imagining life owning one of these

i am happy to say hes been doing alot of research and talking to all diff brand users and sellers and yes, he will be diving pretty much every brand in the country - thankfully the dive community down here has been VERY supportive and willing to share their info on units... even to a total dunce like me

no doubt i will tell you how it goes next month after the first try dive

almitywife:
i suppose the first thing is i have to stop referring to it as the 'box of death'!!!

"box of debt" is another one that i've heard.

nobody has died yet on a KISS unit. it also seems like flying eCCR units like an mCCR unit and trying to stay ahead of the electronic controller seems to be correlated with safer eCCR diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom