Rebreather FFM what's your set Up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
I have been day dreaming about what to get for Christmas this year and what to get in the future for my YBOD. This started while reading the article on the hammerhead in ADM. I really want to get a hammerhead but it seams like that will have to be for 2005 due to current delivery.

1.My first question is what FFM are people diving with a rebreather and which one they would dive if money was not an object.
2. I would also like to know total cost on FFM with a DSV with OC bailout and COMMS option.
3. I am also wanting to know if there is a FFM you would never dive.
4. Is your set up complete from 1 source or did you have to piece it together from multiple sources.
5. My current choices are AGA I have two OC and Divenet has a kit to convert to Rebreather, DR-600, Dreager Nova (Future not availabe for inspiration yet), Scubapro, Kirby Morgan Supermask Nato pod availabe in the future. Did I miss any.

I would greatly appreciate any experience you may have.

Thanks

TNT

HI,

I am using the JMC (Kirby/Morgan design) Supermask with my KISS rebreather. However I am not using the nato pod, I use the standard O/C pod since the KISS comes with a OC/CC DSV. My only complaint about the mask is that is that it limits visibility compaired to the low volume masks I used to use, not significantly but enough for me to notice it.

The only other FFM I considered was the AGA but I decided against it because 1) CO2 concerns because of the large airspace in the mask, and 2) the AGA forces airflow over the mask lense to aid in defogging which works great unless on O/C, but in a rebreather (warm moist gass) in cold water it can cause the lense to fog.

- Ozzy

tnt2020:
I have been day dreaming about what to get for Christmas this year and what to get in the future for my YBOD. This started while reading the article on the hammerhead in ADM. I really want to get a Hammerhead but it seems like that will have to be for 2005 due to current delivery.

1.My first question is what FFM are people diving with a rebreather and which one they would dive if money was not an object.
2. I would also like to know total cost on FFM with a DSV with OC bailout and COMMS option.
3. I am also wanting to know if there is a FFM you would never dive.
4. Is your set up complete from 1 source or did you have to piece it together from multiple sources.
5. My current choices are AGA I have two OC and Divenet has a kit to convert to Rebreather, DR-600, Dreager Nova (Future not availabe for inspiration yet), Scubapro, Kirby Morgan Supermask Nato pod availabe in the future. Did I miss any.

I would greatly appreciate any experience you may have.

Thanks

TNT

TNT,

I can speak directly to your question, since I have some years of diving experience with the AGA, the EXO, and Kirby-Morgan hat and band-mask.

First, both the AGA and the Widolf DR-600 are excellent masks. I have used both extensively.

They are both in the same price range, and may easily be modified with the addition of a block to have a "bail-out" switch (or valve), and the second stage regulator of your choice. Divematics USA, Inc. will fit any regulator you choose to their very fine bail-out valve block. (I prefer this description, because this is actually the intended use for the device.)

I use the DR-600, with a comm set-up by OTS. I give it the edge over the AGA, because it is much more comfortable for long periods than the AGA, and it is much stronger (i.e. structurally tougher, and more durable). You will simply not find a more comfortable skirt on any FFM. Period. Full stop.

If you wish to see my mask, it is the one shown in th pics taken by Stefan Besier (Caveseeker7) and shown under the heading "Divematics" in his pictures taken at DEMA 2004.

Try here: http://www.therebreathersite.nl/divematics.htm

I have a military style through-water comm set-up made by OTS. It is powerful, reliable, and produces very high-quality audio. It is not, however, inexpensive.

PM me for more info.

Rob

1. M-48 w/ NATO pod & bailout 2nd or DR-600 w/ bailout 2nd
I like the quality of the Widolf, but haven't yet had a chance to try it.
I used the K-M OC and it fit and worked well, hence it would be my first choice.
OC it would be the AGA though, very comfortable and reliable.

2. Depends on the mask and comms, integrated bailout etc.
Kinda helps to know what you're trying to price ... .
OTS has a downloadable pricelist I believe, Divematics has prices on their website as does TechBlue.

3. Ocean Reef FFM - I consider it crap.
Scubapro - way to big/wide for my face.

4. Again, it depends on your choice.
OTS builds excellent comms (the Buddy Phone works well, the 2010 is a step up in price, options and range - those are the ones I used. You may not be able to get BigJet's big power unit). They're also dealer for Interspiro, Dräger, K-M and Mantis FFMs. For OC-integrated bailout you would probably shop elsewhere, though.
Divematics, TechBlue, Millenium Divers, depends on the mask. Divematics will supply the Windolf with OC bailout, and can probably get it for you with comms, too.
TechBlue or Millenium Divers might be able to get you the M-48 w/ NATO pod.

5. The Mantis, a lot like the Scubapro in layout (mask connectors for primary, secondary and comms - for smaller faces and lower volume)

OTS - Comms and several FFMs
Divematics - Widolf, AGA CCR conversions and OC integrated DSVs
TechBlue - maybe M48/Nato pod
Millenium Divers - maybe M48/Nato pod

There are several more of my pictures of the Widolf DR-600 hooked up to a Tiger CCR, by the way. :wink:

scubahubby:
HI,

The only other FFM I considered was the AGA but I decided against it because 1) CO2 concerns because of the large airspace in the mask, and 2) the AGA forces airflow over the mask lense to aid in defogging which works great unless on O/C, but in a rebreather (warm moist gass) in cold water it can cause the lense to fog.

- Ozzy

(1) Both the Widolf DR-600 and the AGA (actually called Divator MkII) use a small oro-nasal cup to prevent this.

(2) This IS a concern with all FFM's used with re-breathers.

Cheers!

Rob - thanks.

hubby - when the AGA is used with RBs the gas path is changed, it stays in the oral-nasal pocket so it won't fog.

tnt - the M-48 reatins the bite piece and hence allows you to keep it in your mouth. There is a ratchet adjustment that makes that effortless and stops the bellows wobble that the OC version has. While using the comms you have to remove it.

I understood from reading the old post retaining the bite piece was important to keep CO2 down. Can any of the mask retain the mouth piece and have comms?

Tnt

tnt2020:
I understood from reading the old post retaining the bite piece was important to keep CO2 down. Can any of the mask retain the mouth piece and have comms?

Tnt

No, your mother told you not to talk with your mouth full. :eyebrow:

Seriously, the purpose of the small oro-nasal cup is to reduce the "dead" air space and avoid the CO2 problem. It does work.

tnt2020:
The problem is that you'll be very hard to understand with a bite piece in your mouth. OTS builds mikes into the DSV for the military, so that is a possibility. Then again I doubt the combat swimmers chat much. :wink:

CO2 build up shouldn't be much of an issue with the M-48 as long as you don't do a Twain and tell stories during the entire dive. Through water comms are great for emergencies and brief messages, but for elaborate discussions you would want duplex and hardwire anyway. And if brief messages are all you use it for then CO2 build up shouldn't really be an issue.

That's theory, though, I never used a FFM with a CCR. BigJet has and does, so I asume he doesn't have a CO2 problem.

I'm not aware of any other mask retaining the regs bite piece.

Add-ited: You beat me to the post, Rob. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom