Rebreather FFM what's your set Up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BJD,

My question becomes is the DR-600 worth $700.00 more than the supper mask?

I can Sell one of my Divators it is new in the box and then get one of the above mask.
Some personel dive info
I am new to rebreathers and won't add it to my unit untill I have 25 or 50 dives and feel comfortable. I won't dive over 150' for at least a year. I hope to dive the Saratoga in March 2006 on a CCR trip to Bikini. Local diving is Great lakes wrecks. I have to dive with OC buddies in Chicago or drive to Minnesota for CCR budies.

I think the Super mask may be easier with OC buddies. I like the Supermask because it is easy to equalize, Cheaper and very easy to bail out. Don't like limited viz comments! I am only reading these factors and looking at photos so should I dump the extra 700 for the DR 600 I hate buyers remorse and don't want to wish I had a better Mask or a feel I over paid for something extra I'm not using. Please advise as you seem to have tried all and have 2000 dives. I normally dive 100 times a year if that helps. I hope the personel info helps some?

TNT

Forget the KM48 supermask with the Nato POD - They (the Nato pods) are only being sold to the Military.

Only a handful were ever sold to civilians (I was lucky to be one of them) they may be re-releasing it to the civilian market at some stage. I think it was in part a liability issue.

The nato pod is great, no CO2 issues, you use the ratchet to pull the mouthbite out of your mouth to speak into the mask.

Ive used it to bail at 100m and it worked fine (high He content) even though the reg isnt rated very deep from a EN250 viewpoint.

The ability to bail off the mask (by removing the pod only and shoving another reg in your gob) is a real safety bonus to me.

My best advice is to buy the KM supermask with the scuba pod and shove a KISS oc/cc valve in the hole.

Both are great bits of kit and that will give you more flexibility and safety over a fixed reg FFM simply because you can spit out the pod if it screws up or you are out of gas and go on a buddys stage/surface supplied/etc etc without losing your vision or having to carry a spare scuba mask.

tnt2020:
BJD,

My question becomes is the DR-600 worth $700.00 more than the "super" mask?

I can sell one of my Divators it is new in the box and then get one of the above masks.

I hate buyers remorse and don't want to wish I had a better Mask or a feel I over paid for something extra I'm not using.
TNT

TNT,

(1) I would have to answer with an un-qualified "yes" to your first question.

(2) That would help pay for it, and you WILL (I am certain!) like it better than the AGA or the "super" mask.

(3) I agree with you completely on this last point!

Here is my suggestion. I would wait before making any choice on the FFM issue. You really do need to get some experience on your unit BEFORE going the FFM route. There are some very good reasons for using one, but it does take some more training, and there are procedures required for proper use.

I'm not trying to discourage you. Just counseling a little more time before you make the leap.

In the interests of full disclosure, I will point out that I am personal friends with Tracy Robinette, the maker of the Widolf. This does not affect my statement that the Widolf is the most comfortable and strongest FFM that I have ever found. That is why I chose it. I cannot say that I have used EVERY full-face mask that has EVER existed, but I have certainly used every one that is generally available. I stand by my statement about the Widolf.

Call my toll-free voice pager, and leave me a contact number. I will call you back and discuss this at length.

Cheers!

DrMike:
The ability to bail off the mask (by removing the pod only and shoving another reg in your gob)---

Hey Mike,

You need to be careful about how you phrase that when you talk about opening the flap and stuffing things in your gob, considering what the slang name is for that mask!!! :11ztongue

Hee-hee-hee!!! :eyebrow:

Hi Bigjet,

How have you been. I called divematics and will be ordering myself a DR-600 this week, with integrated OC. Anything else I should think about?(add-ons)

Mike

tnt2020:
BJD,

Is the Widolf DR-600 heavy or not. It looks like a solid unit and I can't help but feel a strain in my neck every time I look at it. You wrote it is very comfortable but I wanted to ask since I have never seen one in person. Will you or you mask be coming to Our world underwater? Do you dive only cold with your mask or on almost all of your dives?

tnt

You either like these FFM or hate them, The original Widolf was built like a brick SH and doesnt seem to have changed much apart from some plastic parts but unlike the band masks KMB-10 or Heliox 18 in there day was less forgiving when you wrap it into something. Due to its weight and the spider strap assembly they can slide off your face! The band mask type masks with the attached hoods seemed to fair better as it was more difficult to loose them! when attached to a 4 core umbilical.
The jpeg is of a mixed gas variant from the original Widolf factory before old man Widolf sold to Tracy Robinette, we used them for light weight diving. The oral nasal (without the nasal) mouthpiece was the bit of interest in the photo. Also the face seal rubber is "stiched" using little plastic hooks over the face surround very clever idea.

The other FFM with a mouthpiece is the standard NATO Admiralty Full face mask
Been around for the last fifty years also used by USN & MoD this has an interesting water filled face seal surround for a perfect seal, best design ever for a FFM (IMHO)
You spit out the mouthpiece tit and yell, Also the wide vision allows a clear view, only problem was the bog awful nose clip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom