reboot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Why does trying to enter some scubaboard forums or threads cause my conputer to reboot?

My system usually crashes when I try to get into the technical diving specialties forum. Once in a while I can get into the forum but then it will crash if I try to get into the "END" thread.

By "crash" I mean that my computer just reboots without displaying any warning or error.

I don't have any problems on any other sites including those running the same basic software as scubaboard so I have to think that, even if there is a problem with my system, there's something different about scubaboard.

:hmmm:
This is the first time I've heard of this problem.

Can you try to reproduce this on another computer?

:hmmm:

Can you try to reproduce this on another computer?

No because I don't have another computer. LOL

I was posting in that forum and thread and not having problems. Has something changed recently...a new add maybe? As you can see I don't have problems getting into this thread. Over time, I have noticed performance on the board has gotten slower and slower on my computer. Maybe one of these animated adds is just trying to do something that my (several year old) hardware isn't going to do?

There are no new advertisers on SB that have any ads that require "new software"

The ad requirements for SB have not changed at all over the past several months. That is that ads must be in either animated GIF, Static JPG, or SWF (Flash) file types. While we do not enforce a limit on file size, we do recommend to our sponsors that they keey their ads to < 400kb most are < 200 kb.

The performance of the board itself has been really quite great over the past 30 days as well. Our server load averages have been nominal, while active users has been higher, really there have been no problems as of late at all.

The problem you describe sounds to be something specific to your computer, but like Laurens said, if you can provide some additional information, or maybe try a friend's computer to see if the problem occurs on their machine this would be most helpful in troubleshooting your problem further. :)

Thanks Howard but...I believe you when you say it works on everybody elses machine.

Everything seems to be working fine except for some forums and threads on scubaboard. As you can see, I can get in and out of this forum/thread consistantly with no problems. I really don't have any other info to provide which is kind of why I thought I'd ask you folks.

Thanks Howard but...I believe you when you say it works on everybody elses machine.

Everything seems to be working fine except for some forums and threads on scubaboard. As you can see, I can get in and out of this forum/thread consistantly with no problems. I really don't have any other info to provide which is kind of why I thought I'd ask you folks.
Are you still having the problem? I just went to Tech Diving forum, then Cave Diving sub-forum with no problems.

Are you still having the problem? I just went to Tech Diving forum, then Cave Diving sub-forum with no problems.

El turned the adds off for me and it immediately started working. But...they're turned back on now and it's still working, though slower...got me.

What kind of internet service do you have? System details, etc.

You can PM it to me and El Orans if you don't want to post this in the public forum. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom