Nothing new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I opened my computer and went through my normal routine of reading the news and checking my emails. As I did, I got lots of notifications from ScubaBoard popping up on my window. When I went to to ScubaBoard, I expected to see around 20 notifications, but I had none. In fact, there was nothing whatsoever on ScubaBoard that was not there yesterday afternoon. No one had apparently added to any thread in all that time.

While I was looking at it in puzzlement, another notification came to my browser, but when I looked for it, there was nothing new there.

I rebooted the computer and started over. When I went to the what's new list, I saw 4 brand new posts, followed by a line telling me that those were the only posts added since my last visit. Everything below that was from yesterday afternoon.

That list from yesterday afternoon did not include any of the threads I had been active on during that time.

I opened my computer and went through my normal routine of reading the news and checking my emails. As I did, I got lots of notifications from ScubaBoard popping up on my window. When I went to to ScubaBoard, I expected to see around 20 notifications, but I had none. In fact, there was nothing whatsoever on ScubaBoard that was not there yesterday afternoon. No one had apparently added to any thread in all that time.

While I was looking at it in puzzlement, another notification came to my browser, but when I looked for it, there was nothing new there.

I rebooted the computer and started over. When I went to the what's new list, I saw 4 brand new posts, followed by a line telling me that those were the only posts added since my last visit. Everything below that was from yesterday afternoon.

That list from yesterday afternoon did not include any of the threads I had been active on during that time.
In my uneducated opinion, I think the whole database was rolled back to a copy that looks sometime early afternoon? EST yesterday. I have both posts and messages that are missing.

15:53 EST/20:53 GMT

Same here.

Yes. The server crashed.

it was restored from a backup copy

Bad server, no desert for you.
1672328122853.png

So I assume that all posts made during that period are gone. If so, it is curious that my computer knew about them and send me notices about the notifications I should have found when opening ScubaBoard. As I said had quite a few popping up on my screen while I was engaged elsewhere.

So I assume that all posts made during that period are gone. If so, it is curious that my computer knew about them and send me notices about the notifications I should have found when opening ScubaBoard. As I said had quite a few popping up on my screen while I was engaged elsewhere.
Every post made after the backup (2:32 PM EST yesterday) is gone. That doesn't mean that posts weren't made and you were notified, it just means that they are gone now.

It's a bit like writing MATLAB code and your computer crashes, and you backup from a time machine you created last week. It isn't that you didn't write the code, or discuss the code with the professor, or get emails about the code in between times, it's that the code you wrote about is now gone.
You can likely look at a cached copy on your computer and restore your posts from it, if you are set up to keep one, but as far as the server is concerned, everything after 2:32 yesterday for about 16 hours is gone, and never existed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom