Ready to get wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a buddy that dived the dam site south this last weekend.
He said they only went to about 22 ft deep because they were dialing in doubles.
The viz was 30ft + & temps are up to a balmy 47 degrees.

I hope to be diving with who I think you speak of near the end of April! I look forward to that warm Arkansas water! Up here in Ohio, the water has just warmed up to above solid!
ps I also dive a 3mm, but it is dry :wink::rofl3:

No problem, I am going to be diving Beaver the weekend of April 15th, 16th, & 17th.
Got a boat rented for Saturday the 16th & will be shore diving Friday & Sunday.
Let me know if anyone wants to get together that weekend. We may even still have room on the boat on Saturday for a few divers, I have ten people that are supposed to meet me Saturday for boat dives so far, & some more maybes??? The boat holds 24 people.

Man that sounds like some kinda party you are putting on! Is this some kinda special thing or just a general shindig?

anyway sounds like fun! :D

Just a group of people I have met & dived with from another scuba fourm.
We try to get together a couple of times a year at Beaver, Table Rock, or Oronogo & dive together.

pm sent...

I dove Mermet Springs two weeks ago. The quarry had recently turned over and the viz was 8' at best. The surface temp was 42 and 39-41 at depth.

Drysuit.

We're planning to dive at Mermet at the beginning of April. I'm curious what you meant when you said the quarry had recently turned over. Viz has never really been good when I've been there. I'm hoping that if I go when everyone else thinks it's too cold maybe I'll get lucky and be the first to silt the place up for the day! (REALLY need to work on buoyancy!) :dork2:

I'm hoping that if I go when everyone else thinks it's too cold maybe I'll get lucky and be the first to silt the place up for the day! (REALLY need to work on buoyancy!)

LOL kimbalabala your not supposed to stir up silt or hit bottom! :rofl3:

I hope to be diving with who I think you speak of near the end of April! I look forward to that warm Arkansas water! Up here in Ohio, the water has just warmed up to above solid!
ps I also dive a 3mm, but it is dry :wink::rofl3:

Yes, I think I may know you from somewhere, and you very well may be right...

Kimbalabala,

To help describe what I meant by "turn Over." The link at the bottom probably gives a better definition. When the lake or body of water turns over. It effects the visibility due to the cooler more dense water settling on the bottom forcing the water on the bottom to the top. kicking up silt in the process.

I plan on diving Mermet the last week of March. Hopefully the conditions have changed.

Lake turnover occurs on many large and/or deep bodies of water. As air temperatures drop so does the water temperature of the upper layers of a body of water. As these upper layers cool they become denser and heavier. Eventually they become cold enough and heavy enough to the point they begin to sink. As this heavy dense layer sinks it displaces the water at the lake bottom forcing the lower layers to the surface. It is the unique properties of the water molecule which causes water to contract down to 40 degrees F and then to begin expanding at 39 degrees F to 32 degrees F that makes this process possible without freezing the lake through.

Lake frequently asked questions: Minnesota DNR

Avonthediver - I KNOW I'm not supposed to stir up the silt!!! I'm workin' on it! I'm worse in cold water than I am in warm water too - that's why I'm going - to work on those skills. Practice, practice, practice ... sigh ...

Bludiver - thanks for the info. I just keep learning - who would have thought that something called "turnover" would have such an impact on viz quality? (the only "turnovers" I knew about were either edible or were related to employment!) I'll be interested to hear what the conditions are when you go. We're going the weekend of April 2. I was watching the online video at the Mermet website the other day and I've never seen the viz look like what they filmed! I suppose when we go on weekends, and there are classes going on, all that activity really stirs things up. Maybe we should try to get away during the week some day ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom