Reaching valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats just the problem - the predive checks in this particular instance check out just fine - you breath off your reg and all is well, you fill your bc and all is well - everything checks out quite ok. Its only when the tank pressure gets to a point where it cant refill the 1st stage and hoses fast enough due to the restriction and the fact the tank pressure isnt enough to compensate for that restriction - i would imagine depending on just how much of a 'half-turn on' you actually had. In my case 1400 psi seemed to be that point. In others, who knows what the point of failure would be. The point is, the predive checks already happened and someone slipped in there without me knowing it and changed some part of my setup. I had no clue boat crew would even do that - this was my first charter in that area.

GUE - DIRF is one that has valve drills for both single and doubles depending on what you're diving - and its the one that has brought this more to my attention recently which is why i'm practicing it. I think we even may have done that in our OW course but i dont honesetly remember.

Heres a quote from the BAUE site on single tank valve failure:
(http://www.baue.org/faq/valve_drills.html)
>>>
The most common "failure" on a single tank rig is actually failure to have the valve on in the first place. There are several ways this can happen. The most common is for a diver to turn their gas on, check the pressure, then turn it off again. When they later check their SPG, it reads full, so they jump in. Two or three breaths later ... no gas!! I've also seen well-meaning divemasters accidentally turn people's gas off when they meant to turn it on. In this case, the solution is obvious (besides the even more obvious answer of verifying that your gas is on before jumping in .... ) - turn your valve back on!

In the case of an actual failure (e.g., regulator failure), in a single tank you don't have very many options (unless you have a dual-orifice valve with redundant 1st stages, in which case you treat it nearly the same as doubles). Your only option is to first secure a new gas source. Do not shut down your valve until you have secured a gas source (i.e., from your buddy). Once you have a new source, you simply reach back and shut down your valve. While this is not strictly necessary, the bubbles generated by a regulator/valve failure can cause a great deal of confusion, increasing the stress and task loading in a situation that is already stressful

>>>

Clearly, i'm not the only guy in the world to which that particular situation has happened.

Sorry but your wrong

What is this? The fact that this actually happened and would be a prime place where a skill like this would be very beneficial would indicate otherwise and I cant imagine being your student at any level with that kind of attitude. Your assumption that this can't happen with predive checks in place (as it did in my case) is so blind as to be dangerous.

I'm saying that your offsetting a gap in your skills & training by introducing a non ratified skill. The important thing here is that you people seem to think it's fine to jump into the oggin with your air turned off & NO pre-dive checks carried out because you've practiced turning your air on whilst kitted.

What do you mean non-ratified? by PADI? Please tell me you're kidding. The point is that jumping in and having a valve or air issue should be easily rectified by a simple skill - to deny that is ridiculous. The fact that you cant even think through this one example also shows that since padi didnt teach it it just cant happen i guess. I

steve

I'm good looking too.

What happens if you forget to put you fins on?? Do you have a special fin retrieval technique??? that you've invented??

I could take my kit off at 40m to remove a line caught on my kit but why? If my buddy's there.

I think it's fabulous that you can reach your own valve. A person should have goals in life & i congratulate you on achieving yours.

Maybe next you should try breathing off your buddies exhausted air bubbles. Just in case you forget to kit up completely. Better safe than sorry you know. It could happen. Some teenager could sneak up behind you & remove your kit before you realise it!!!??

I thought today would be boring but no, i've found a comedy diving forum for the accident prone

Good diving (he he he)
Rob

Rob Meddes wrote...
On a single!! Under ice????
Take it up with PADI, not me. I don't ice dive, nor would I use a single if I did.

As far as I know, none of the recreational agencies require valve manipulation at the entry or intermediate levels. They don't require a student to put on their own fins either. Being able to reach your valve is simply a matter of being able to manage your own equipment. The fact that it isn't required doesn't mean that it isn'y useful.

The first time I ever had to reach a valve was when an instructor checked my air and left it part way on. It breathed fine till I hit about 50 ft. It also happened that I had trouble keeping up with the guy and he was about 20 ft ahead of me. I couldn't get much air and looked at my gauge. When I saw that the needle droped as I attempted to inhaled I knew what the problem was. I reached for my valve but couldn't reach. I loosened my waist band, pushed the tank up and turned on the air.

As i said i'm not saying you shouldn't try or practice it. You've had a situation where had you been able to reach your valve then you might have been able to resolve the problem yourself, but you're with a buddy so hey, use him. I understand your reasoning & it may be a handy skill.
My problem was the "you need to do it for when you jump in the sea with your air off then its ok because you can do this" I understand that i your case some halfwit caused you a problem but what the hell is he doing messing with your kit. Once its set up then NO ONE should be touching it unless asked. You only need 60 dives to become a PADI DM. Unless in minus air temps your reg should be in your mouth as you prepare to enter the water in case you slip so if you've turned your air on then off it will be obvious.

DIR Have lots of techniques & theories they advocate. Personally i don't agree with all of them but a lot of them are very good

In the case of an actual failure (e.g., regulator failure), in a single tank you don't have very many options (unless you have a dual-orifice valve with redundant 1st stages, in which case you treat it nearly the same as doubles). Your only option is to first secure a new gas source. Do not shut down your valve until you have secured a gas source (i.e., from your buddy). Once you have a new source, you simply reach back and shut down your valve. While this is not strictly necessary, the bubbles generated by a regulator/valve failure can cause a great deal of confusion, increasing the stress and task loading in a situation that is already stressful

Simply reach back & turn it off......really, that simple. I started out on a single 15l. Because of it's weight i had to have it very low in my camband to prevent my being pulled over backwards. A Philipino pole dancer wouldn't have been able to reach it let a lone a 30 something beer drinking uk diver.

Your assumption that this can't happen with predive checks in place (as it did in my case) is so blind as to be dangerous.

I don't assume this can't happen. Anything can happen. If you want to cover every base then you should be on a twinset.
If this happens again in your diving career then i'll be very shocked

What do you mean non-ratified?
by PADI? Please tell me you're kidding.
By anyone. As for kidding, you lot started the jokes.

The point is that jumping in and having a valve or air issue should be easily rectified by a simple skill - to deny that is ridiculous.

I don't deny it. The same as i don't deny carrying a harpoon gun may prevent you been eaten by a killer whale. However i don't see the point in worrying or practicing either.

The fact that you cant even think through this one example also shows that since padi didnt teach it it just cant happen i guess.

I have & i agree it may have been handy but not important & i'm by no means a PADI dive guru.

PADI don't teach DSMB, deco & twinset (mainstream) use yet i dive all of these.
Good diving
Rob
PS By the way i dive in a lake in Peterborough, England

Diving is an inherently risky sport. To deny that is foolish, as I think everyone here agrees. By learning to dive you accept certain risks and the goal of any diver should be to improve his/her skills through experience and training in order to minimize those risks. Now, going back to the topic of the discussion - there is absolutely no way that you can foresee and preempt all potential problems before they happen, including having to reach back to that valve at some point during the dive. I won't try to come up with more examples of why you would have to do that, other folks on here have come up with plenty, including those that would NOT be caught by any of your standard checks, Rob. The point is, a majority of agencies not teaching you a certain skill doesn't make that skill any less useful for that freak, totally unforseen situation that you may one day find yourself in.

Another issue is distractions. Rob, you listed your checklist for us that you go through before jumping in the water every time you dive. Is that checklist written down and you read off of it every time or do you do it from memory? My guess is you do it from memory. Now here's something to consider. My other passion (an even bigger one than diving, actually) is flying. There are a lot of parallels that can be drawn between non-commercial flying and diving. Both involve a certain degree of risk (then again, so does driving a car on a freeway, but I digress), and both emply various equipment and acquired skills in order to be accomplished in a safe and enjoyable manner, while minimizing the potential risks. As part of pilot training you are taught a number of skills to prepare you for not only safe operation of an aircraft, but also dealing with potential emergencies that, however unlikely, do happen. One of the more fundamental skills is use of a checklist. During preflight and pre-takeoff checks, especially, since this is where you'd rather expose a potential problem with your equipment (i.e. the airplane you're about to take into the sky). You do it every time. From paper, not memory. The reason for that is that whether we like it or not, we can get distracted during a check, and if you're doing it from memory, you can easily forget and skip an item or more. This CAN and DOES happen to anyone, no matter what their level of skill or experiene is. Now going through a printed checklist prior to every dive is impractical, I'll agree, but as a result that makes you prone to forgetting one or more points on it. If it hasn't happened to you yet, then it will. I guarantee it. To deny that and assume that it won't due to your "mental conditioning," or whatever you called it is arrogant and one of these days may come back and bite you in the ass.

Now, to accept that it can happen and learn a skill that can save your butt if it does is what being a safety-minded diver is all about. This appies not only to learning to reach back to your valve, but picking up on any skill, whether taught by an agency or not, that can potentially help you in an emergency situation. Going back to aviation for an example (I'll draw some parallels here) - there is a condition that you can find your airplane in called a spin. In simple terms, it occurs when your wings lose lift and if not corrected immediately, you may quickly find yourself rapidly descending while... well, spinning. Let's say that finding yourself having to recover from a spin is equivalent to having to reach back to your valve. Both situations have a potential to do you in and... surprise, both are situations to which recovieries are not required to be taught by the regulations (FAA for spins, or PADI/NAUI/whoever for reaching the valve). Both, instead, advocate teaching PREVENTION. What you should do to make sure that you never find yourself in a spin or having to reach for the valve. The truth of the matter is, though, that things happen, things that are beyond your control, be it a patch of very rough turbulence that sends your plane into a spin (this has happened, albeit extremely rarely) or equipment failure/stupid divemaster grabbing your valve as you're jumping in the water, whatever. Now, you can go and practice recovery from spins (in fact, it used to be a required skill in the past, before FAA started mandating that prevention be taught instead) with a qualified instructor, but it is not required. Realizing that although not required, it may still help you in that unforseen situation that probably will never happen to you (although it still might and you accepted that) is what makes one a safer pilor, much as realizing that you may have to reach back for that valve one of these days will make you a slightly better diver.

We are concentrating on only one simple skill here - reaching a valve. What's more important, however, at least in my opinion, is realizing that we are only human and that we do not live in a perfect world. We will forget, we will screw up, people around us will do the same, and the environment or chance will pitch in to put you into a pickle of a situation. Accept it. And next time someone suggests a skill that, however unlikely to be required by you, try to think about it objectively and realize that, "Hey, maybe this does happen, even to the best of us." "Maybe if I take some time to learn this or that skill or read about what this or that person did in a particular situation/emergency will help save my life someday if I somehow find myself in a similar situation?" No agency can foresee all potential problems and emergencies and teach recovery from all of them. Learning from experiences of others and realizing that someday you may find yourself in the same situation is the best thing you can do to make yourself a safer diver/pilot/whatever. At least in this one diver/pilot's opinion.

-Roman.

Rob, you are describing an ideal world where buddy checks go flawless and everyone follows the so called rules of SCUBA diving.

I don't think UP says its acceptable to jump into the water without your air on, but he realizes that it happens, no matter what your skill level, no matter what your buddies skill level.

This thread started off as someone asking about techniques to reach his valve and then someone asked why would you need to reach your valve. Someone along the way, you turned this into a pre-dive check issue.

I don't understand why you think its a good skill to learn, but you argue the events that cause this skill to be used. This thread is about learning how to take care of yourself in the water, for whatever reason. If everyone was perfect, this wouldn't be an issue.

If I am in the water, and find out my air is off, do you think I care how it happened at the moment..heck no, I would care if I didn't know how to turn my air on. This is what this thread is about...knowing what to do in the situation.

Do us all a favor, start another thread regarding the importance of pre-dive checks, as they do not apply in this thread.

Jason

oh...

righ...

diving...

OK...

Don't worry Rob... when it comes to boat diving... even though I can reach my valve... I hit the wing inflator while watching the SPG just before stepping off. :wink:

Now if I could always remember to put my mask on :D

i'm a PPSEL too and wholeheartedly agree w/ you on drawing useful parallels between flying and diving. i'm a new diver, but i realized early on that my mediocre PADI instructor was not teaching me enough to feel prepared in the water... of course i was comparing his training to what i went though to get my flying license. when i earned my pilot's ticket, even though its a license to learn, i felt well prepared in the air. my scuba training was another matter.

i'd like to put together a thread on this, i feel there are many useful practices / mentalities that could be applied to diving. maybe we (and other pilots here) could collaborate. interested?

happy diving and flying,

chris

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
oh...

righ...

diving...

OK...

Don't worry Rob... when it comes to boat diving... even though I can reach my valve... I hit the wing inflator while watching the SPG just before stepping off. :wink:

Now if I could always remember to put my mask on :D
My biggest problem is my weight belt.. up until last year I haven't used a weight belt in probably 10 years.. with My RB I can still dive without one, but I Rather have it on... In Drysuit and heavy underwear in salt water I TRY and wear 4 lbs(it makes the last 10 feet much easier -- I can have a larger volume of air in the lungs).. it doesn't always work out that way.. I always discover it before I get in the water (pre dive check)but its a pain to get on with the rb in place(while on the boat - easier in the water) so I usually just say screw it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom