Reaching valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Anyone ever had to breath directly off a mild tank stream at depth, or heard any other stories like this?
This was a skill taught in my PADI "Basic" certification in the early 70s.

Roak

but if your reg starts to free flow at depth, the ability to shut off the tank and turn it back on to breath while ascending could possibly give you more time for a safe ascent. Just a guess, but how close was I?

As i said you can make up as many reasons as you waqnt to justify forgetting a skill. If your valve is half turned on then it doesn't matter, the valves on my twinset are only turned on 1 1/2 turnes to anable quick shutdown & there's no problem.
Someone turning your air off for fun???? And you ask what planet i'm on. Do you dive with a buddy? How's this James bond'esk diver managed to sneak up on you (unlless on CCR) & your buddy just with the intension of turning off your air. Thats almost attempted murder. However the fact that your diving on a single should mean that your on a limited depth 40m max, no stop dive, so at the last resort (assuming he managed to turn it all the way off without you stoping him & that your buddies wandered off when all this is happening so you cannot reach his octo) you can head for the surface without any adverse effects.
The only post that even hints at a reason is to turn your valve off & on during a freeflow. Even this however should be covered by either your buddy or your abbility to breath from a freeflowing reg. Thats why you learn these skills & thats why when on a single you dive with a buddy. Noone has yet even mentioned the effect of narcosis is going to have while all this is going on.
A big congrats to Scubanarc for the most creative comment on the thread. Must have took a while for that one to form. You have nothing to say & your saying it too loud.
See you all in the Darwin awards
Good diving
Rob

Rob Meddes once bubbled...
As i said you can make up as many reasons as you waqnt to justify forgetting a skill. If your valve is half turned on then it doesn't matter, the valves on my twinset are only turned on 1 1/2 turnes to anable quick shutdown & there's no problem.
Someone turning your air off for fun???? And you ask what planet i'm on. Do you dive with a buddy? How's this James bond'esk diver managed to sneak up on you (unlless on CCR) & your buddy just with the intension of turning off your air. Thats almost attempted murder. However the fact that your diving on a single should mean that your on a limited depth 40m max, no stop dive, so at the last resort (assuming he managed to turn it all the way off without you stoping him & that your buddies wandered off when all this is happening so you cannot reach his octo) you can head for the surface without any adverse effects.
The only post that even hints at a reason is to turn your valve off & on during a freeflow. Even this however should be covered by either your buddy or your abbility to breath from a freeflowing reg. Thats why you learn these skills & thats why when on a single you dive with a buddy. Noone has yet even mentioned the effect of narcosis is going to have while all this is going on.
A big congrats to Scubanarc for the most creative comment on the thread. Must have took a while for that one to form. You have nothing to say & your saying it too loud.
See you all in the Darwin awards
Good diving
Rob

If your valvle is one half turn on it clearly does matter - not for the first half or so of the dive when the tank pressure is high enough to compensate for the small opening, but after a while, the pressure in the tank wont be enough to fill your hoses (as i found out) and your pressure will throttle from breathing as mine did. At some point, i'm quite sure breathing would have been more difficult and eventually impossible - with lots of air in the tank - mine started at 1400 psi on a 2400 psi tank. The problem with the throttling was - at first i heard some computer beeping - i couldnt figure out whos it was, because i was the only guy with a computer close enough to hear and every time i looked at the thing it looked quite ok - so i kept thinking i was hearing things. The problem was, by the time i got to look at it, the pressure in the hoses was back up to tank pressure and all looked ok. It was only after a while that the tank pressure wasnt enough to fill the hoses quickly enough that i saw the thing bouncing from 1400ish psi to about 600 or 700. Thats when I started thinking it was more than my imagination.

Clearly the fact that you're an instructor after only a few years experience means you either think you've seen it all or you've got lots to learn before you start using your instructor rating. I can only imagine what else you're students might not be learning that they should be. The fact that you dont even want to account for freak happenings with your attitude would scare me. I've only got 150ish dives or so but i know this is a skill i've always wanted to improve and have more or less neglected because i'm not the most flexible guy in the world - but i know its necessary.

And as far as Darwin awards go, I think you've already submitted your application here.

steve

scubafanatic once bubbled...
if one were in an overhead environment and managed to bump/rub the tank knob against the 'overhead'....it would be possible to accidentally restrict/turn off one's own air supply......am I getting warmer?
Nope... no singles for overhead. Nice try though.

dkerr once bubbled...but if your reg starts to free flow at depth, the ability to shut off the tank and turn it back on to breath while ascending could possibly give you more time for a safe ascent. Just a guess, but how close was I?
Yep... that is one.

Another reason would be a blown o-ring at the valve/regulator... very noisy and distracting... you start air sharing with your buddy and shut down your valve so that it doesn't add to the confusion and then make your controlled ascent (with stops) in a calm manner.

Rob Meddes once shrieked...Your talking about jumping head long into a killer environment
and then Rob Meddes shrieked again...i leap into an asphixiating, lethal substance.
Rob... dude... paranoia seems to have taken hold... maybe diving is just too much for you... especially since you can't reach your valves.

If your valvle is one half turn on it clearly does matter

Do you breath off your reg to ensure your needle (or computer) doesn't fluctuate on the surface? This will show this problem.

Clearly the fact that you're an instructor after only a few years experience means you either think you've seen it all or you've got lots to learn before you start using your instructor rating.

I consider every dive a learning dive & NO ONE knows it all & i had over 300 dives before i did my IDC. Its not years since qualification that builds experience, its diving.

I can only imagine what else you're students might not be learning that they should be.

Show me where in any training agency that turning your air on or off whilst kitted is a skill which is part of the schedule.

The fact that you dont even want to account for freak happenings with your attitude would scare me.

I dive on twinsets to 50m in limited viz in cold water in areas of the sea where currents can be as high as 14 knots with wreck penetration & up to 45 mins. of deco (so far). Plus i start my re-breather course next week. All in a self sufficiant manner relying on only myself. Believe me mate i take freak events into accounts. However i never, ever forget to set my own kit up & no one touches it when its on my back or ready to go there. Its my life. You should rely on no one but yourself. A buddies brill but it's still your responsability.

I've only got 150ish dives or so but i know this is a skill i've always wanted to improve and have more or less neglected because i'm not the most flexible guy in the world - but i know its necessary.

I've only done 420 ish dives in various different countries, in many different environments from 50C to -5C, with different training agancies. I spent a year working as a recue diver & over 18 mnths. as a DM working nearly every weekend & am now an instructor in 2 agancies & this skill is unrequired. If you dive on twins then it is essential but not on a single. If you want to practice it then go ahead but you should be concentrating on your pre-dive planning & prep. I don't teach people to shut the door after the horse has drowned. As i said prevention is better than cure.

And as far as Darwin awards go, I think you've already submitted your application here.

Maybe, but at least i'll be here to recieve my rejection letter.

I'm not saying that trying or practicing this skill is wrong. I'm saying that your offsetting a gap in your skills & training by introducing a non ratified skill. The important thing here is that you people seem to think it's fine to jump into the oggin with your air turned off & NO pre-dive checks carried out because you've practiced turning your air on whilst kitted.
Sorry but your wrong
Good diving
Rob

you start air sharing with your buddy and shut down your valve so that it doesn't add to the confusion and then make your controlled ascent (with stops) in a calm manner.

Can't your buddy reach then??

Rob... dude... paranoia seems to have taken hold... maybe diving is just too much for you... especially since you can't reach your valves.

You telling me that pre-dive planning & correct dive skills are the creation of a paranoid mind???

If i've stated anything that isn't true then okey dokey i'm sorry & i'll admit it. The problem is however that i'm right. I dive for fun, for pleasure & for adventure & no matter how much you try to trivialise it the sea is deadly to the complacent & thats what your advocating, complacency. "Oh its ok mate. If you forget to do this then you can do this"!!!???!! I don't think so. Considering America is the land that gave birth to PADI which is a very concervative agency & has strict teaching standards you all seem to be very cavelier about your diving.
Good diving
Rob :¬0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom