Reaching valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get into the water without turning on my air i have to:-

1)Not check my air pressure to ensure i have any or at least enough for the dive.

2)Not check my LPI works on my BCD & my BCD inflates

3)Not check my drysuit inflator works.

4)Not check my primary reg works.

5)Not check my octo (or secondary) reg works.

6)Not ensure my air tastes ok.

7)Not ensure there's no fluctuations in my SPG when breathing because either i have a fault or my valve has closed slightly be accident.

8)My buddy has to fail to ensure i do my checks

9)My buddy has to fail to check HIS emergancy air supply (my octo)

10)Fail to partially inflate my BCD before entry

11)Not have my reg in my mouth & be breathing (i always try to do that) before i leap into an asphixiating, lethal substance.

Now call me old fashioned but if you think that you & uncle pug can miss all these simple, elementary open water skills & still be right, then I'm clearly not diving in the blue planet but on a different planet.
I'm a PADI & BSAC instructor & never have i ever heard of anyone anywhere teaching or mentioning the need to be able to turn your single on in case you forget. It's easy, you don't. Your life literally depends on it.
Your just justifying very bad diving practices by sticking an unneeded skill onto it & making up various examples of why you would need this skill. If your diving is done correctly then these examples will never arise. Even equipment failure cannot be blamed as the whole point of "looking before you leap" is to ensure your equipment is working.

Sorry but training, experience, commen sense & basic survival urges tells me that your wrong & if your not then 100's of thousands of divers around the world are & i doubt that. I just prey you don't try twinset deco diving or even worse, CCR diving because with this "if i forget then i can do this" attitude you'll be dead.
Good diving
Rob

You really trust someone else to turn your air on even after he's made an hash of it once already. It's your life & only you should make sure that your safe. If you've got your kit on your back & you realize you've forgot to turn your air on then fair enough ask someone to turn it on but thats tyhe only time you do. Does the DM or inst. value your life as much as you??? These guys aren't infallible & quite a lot of them are inexperienced & incompetent. Look out for number one. I trust noone but myself to setup & check my own kit & i never will. It's not luxury to have a guide sort your kit out for you, it's lazy & risky.
Good diving
Rob

I think I smell diarrhea!!!!!!:toilet:

Well, if your valve was turned one half turn on, none of your checks would work - in fact they'd all give you great confidence that all was well - just as they did for me when i checked all i needed to. And secondly, the fact that all my stuff was already set up and ready to go before they touched the gear - which i wasnt even aware that they'd do means this stuff can happen.

steve

Hey Rob,

You did all your checks, and your buddy did his. And you're standing on the ladder or back of the boat waiting to jump.

And the DM or Captain decides to check your valve one last time and shuts it off instead of turning it on. Yeh, you'll get a breath or two-just about the time you hit the water. I've seen it happen twice.

You can check and re-check all you want and still have the sh*t hit the fan. If you've practiced a valve drill and the muscle memory is there, it's no big deal to just reach back and turn it on.

Then again, if you've got the attitude that "it can't happen to me" and never do a valve drill-I hope Lady Luck is on your side.

What planet did you say you live on? :eek:

Rob... not having your air turned on before you splash was just one more reason to be able to reach your valve on a singles rig.

But since you can't reach yours we'll let you slide on that one. Just make sure it never happens.

BTW: folks there are still some reasons left to mention.... and the big one is still out there.... who will get it?

Hi Wetman,

...that 'issue' of not being able to reach your tank valve is solvable, without pulling an arm muscle to achieve it, as I've practiced doing it myself.

..here are some 'tricks' so that's it's easy to do:

1) pay close attention to your tank mounting height...it took me a while to figure out exactly where to position my tank when tightening the BC bands.....my Zeagle Ranger has a small, adjustable loop above the 2 main bands, which allows me to keep the same height on the BC when I slip it over my tank. If you mount the tank too low, you'll never be able to reach it by reaching back behind your head....if it's too high the tank valve can smack the back of your head. You will have to experiment to find your ideal height depending on the size of your tank and your BC brand/design.

2) rotate your tank valve knob toward your right hand (I assume you're right handed) somewhat before tightening the BC straps...sure it will be a little off center, but who cares? There's no rule that says the tank valve outlet has to be exactly aligned with the back of your head...it will bring the tank valve knob that much closer to being reachable.

Uncle Pug, let me guess, is this the "big one" you hint at?

-----what if someone else deliberately turned off your air underwater?------

scubafanatic once bubbled...
Uncle Pug, let me guess, is this the "big one" you hint at?

-----what if someone else deliberately turned off your air underwater?------
We don't play that game. But for those who do I suppose being able to turn it back on would be important.

Not really on the same subject but I heard a story from a PADI course director where a diver had a frozen 1st stage piston in really cold water. Continually exhaling - he removed his bc and unscrewed the reg and breathed off the tank directly. Apparently he was deep and on a deco dive and had to go to the chamber for a no stop dive.

Anyone ever had to breath directly off a mild tank stream at depth, or heard any other stories like this?

........well, Uncle Pug, my 2nd 'guess' would be ... if one were in an overhead environment and managed to bump/rub the tank knob against the 'overhead'....it would be possible to accidentally restrict/turn off one's own air supply......am I getting warmer?

.......I agree about not playing that 'game'....but when diving with strangers one never knows how crazy someone might be...just fooling around.

........I could imagine teenagers doing it...'playing around" ....I could also imagine someone holding a grudge against someone and doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom