re: air intergrated dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seajay said
I'm still tryin' to understand the concept of having to cut the water open before you dive it. Yankees do some weird things... Eh.
After my shore dive in Kingston today I noticed an icycle hanging off the building beside me, fortunately the lake water was still pretty soft at 42 degrees, 'cause the chain saw's in the shop getting tuned up for next week! :wink:

Diving wet is easy enough - it's just the air temp when you get out that takes some getting used to.

Nothing like a popping into a Timmies after to warm up!

Dive computers... this has been a great thread for me, I've been thinking of augmenting my 'classic' console with a dive computer...
now I have some anecdotal stew to add to my research, not to mention a hugely entertaining worse case scenario worthy of being in an Alfred Hitchcock thriller.

Thanks

Two of them.

There's two scenarios there.

And they aren't "worst case scenarios." They're common occurrences. Yes, I am serious.

Nobody's answered my question on how to prevent these problems. People discount my stories and say, "Yeah, but that's just a horror story" as if it doesn't happen all the time.

Trust me on this one... Do not believe your computer.

Think about it... The computer says that you have 10 minutes of gas left. You plan on that, and begin your ascent because you know that you've got a 3 minute "safety stop" to do. That's when you suddenly need to donate, 'cause your buddy's OOA. Weren't planning on that, were you? The computer can't make up for it, either. Do you refuse to give your buddy gas, or do the two of you suck down what was supposed to be ten minutes of gas left in. say, four minutes... Which is not enough time to ascend and do your stop! (It'd take 3 minutes just to ascend alone!)

The point is that the computer's "plan" doesn't account for what you really need. That's all there is to it. These aren't horror stories.

SeaJay once bubbled...
I found an interesting thread and posted to it. It's definitely interesting when someone advises to simply let someone else die.

:D

Wow, lookie that... You're right... I didn't even realize it. I'm in Yankee territory. :D

Yankee territory? You're joking, right? Nothing against our American neighbours, but I am categorically not a Yankee.

SeaJay once bubbled...
Hahahahahahaaa!!!

We have something like that... It's called "Krispy Kreme." :D

Do y'all have Krispy Kremes where you are?

Hey, don't look now, but I think we hijacked this thread. :D

We got'em. Tried'em. Ain't nuthin like Timmy's. :)

TekDiveGirl once bubbled...

I speak from personal experience that they can and do fail. I ended up sending mine back and getting Vytecs, but have a backup SPG on my hip.

Kimber

I find them convenient - having my pressure on my wrist computer. Not that I rely on that mostly - I generally have an idea where my pressure is in my brain. Then I can check it on my wrist. And like you, if I need to, I can look at my good old SPG.

Warren,
oops that yankee reference... I think we fixed that up a few posts ago...
Cultural exchanges were made that would have made Kisinger proud: Krispy Kreme's have made it to Ontario... but Timmies still rule, I would take Seajay up on his Shrimp invite ... but I'm signed up for classes that weekend... Drats! Been a while since I was down that way.

Seajay... Since there is no changing the past... I'll definitely take the lessons to learn from and consider the rich wealth from all the other contributions as well.
And how do you prepare those shrimp?

warren_l said...

I find them convenient - having my pressure on my wrist computer. Not that I rely on that mostly - I generally have an idea where my pressure is in my brain. Then I can check it on my wrist. And like you, if I need to, I can look at my good old SPG.

This is an extraordinarily well thought-out approach, because of course, it's also mine. :D

I believe SeaJay is totally correct as well. Trust my life to a computer? Not blinkin' likely. Worked with the swine things way too long. Nice conveniance, though.

Doole, as they say, great minds think alike. :)

I don't rely 100% on a computer - there's no substitute for using your brain. Plus it is not a big deal if the signal cuts out in the middle of a dive. I try to be fairly aware of my air pressure during my dive, and I do check it fairly regularly, so if the signal cuts out, no biggie as I have a reasonably good idea of what's left. I will continue my dive if I choose with my SPG, or if no SPG, I will call the dive. So far, my Vytec has never given me any trouble at depth (knock on wood).

warren_l once bubbled...
Yankee territory? You're joking, right?

Yes, I am. :)

...But that's interesting. Your point, I think, shows that we may have different definitions of what, exactly, a Yankee is.

Here in the South, it's anyone north of the Mason-Dixon Line... Which is technically around the sourthern border of Pennsylvania. I will tell you, however, that old school Southerners consider anything north of THEM to be "Yankees." :)

I'm here in South Carolina, for example... Right on the northern border of Georgia. When I was a child, I once asked my grandfather (who was raised on a deep south plantation), "Pop, where's this 'Mason-Dixon Line' anyway?"

With a completely straight face, he looked at me and said, "I think it's 'bout Yemassee, son." (Yemassee is a town with a population of about 12 up the road about 5 miles... Just to the north of us.) For years, I thought that Yemassee was the Mason Dixon Line. Lol!

It was a big deal, of course, generations ago when there was a Civil War and the Mason-Dixon Line literally cut the country in half - in more ways that just geographically.

Nowadays, of course there's no real "North vs. South" mentaility going on... But us Southerners, who have a very different culture from the Northerners of this country, still joke about it and play. Therein lied the joke that my grandfather meant when he told me that the Mason-Dixon Line ran through any obscure town that was a mile or two north of where you were standing at the time.

Anyway... So what do y'all consider to be a "Yankee?"

Krispy Kreme's have made it to Ontario... but Timmies still rule

BETTER THAN KRISPY KREMES? C'mon... Now I know you're smokin' something funny! :) Do you know that people actually camped out at the first Krispy Kreme to open in California? It was like they were selling Led Zepplin concert tickets! I mean, there were people for days...

Man, if "Timmies" are better than that, then... Well... I gotta try this!

Do they mail? I mean, can you send them, or are they like Krispy Kremes in that they have to be eaten fresh out of the oven?

I'll send someone 1/2 pound of river shrimp for a dozen of those things. Anyone game?

Oh... And you boil 'em. :) I don't know if you've seen the movie Forrest Gump, but in there there's this dude who, for days goes on about the best way to prep shrimp... "Boil em... Fry em... Broil them... Shrimp salad... Shrimp stew..." It's pretty funny.

But here in tne Lowcountry, there's just one way... Catch 'em, 'head 'em, and boil 'em. The fresher the better. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom