re: air intergrated dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Obvious technophobe?"

Might want to reread my posts, "pal." Single tank diver here, diving a wetsuit... At recreational depths. I'm not even diving any sort of funky mix. Exactly how do I classify as a "technophobe?"

And in case you're not familiar - I own a Vyper, which is really a wrist-mounted Cobra without the AI feature. I've dived the Cobra before; I'm fully aware of the information it supplies to the diver, thank you.

The stories - which apparently you didn't read (which is fine, but passing judgement on them without reading is silly and ignorant) - use the example of a standard, wet diver in no overhead on recreational depths with a buddy. I even gave him good SAC and warm water.

What sort of diving is less "technophobe?" Diving in the bathtub?

If your buddy can't remember his training, and relies solely on the "minutes of air left" on his computer instead of his own grey matter, maybe it's Darwin's way of telling him he shouldn't reproduce.

Let me get this straight... You're advising me to let my buddy die?

...And while you may consider my stories "horror stories," I can assure you that I speak about those from experience. They aren't "horror stories" - they're real examples... And I'm not the only one with stories like that to share.

Dive any way you want... But you better hope that you aren't my buddy the day that I decide to take your advice and let "Darwin tell him he shouldn't reproduce."

That's perhaps the most stunning thing I've seen on this board to date.

Seajay who let you across the border :wink:

With all those posts in our forum I see you have bumped the Ontario Fresh Water Freaks into the most active on the board category.

Even the once prolific Texas Swamp diving team has fallen behind and we won't even mention your Deep South Divers there pal :)

I don't use "dive time remaining" as anything other than nice to know info. Tank pressure and NDL are the indicators I use.

The Cobra is by far the most popular computer on the market for a reason. It is incredably user friendly, has a great info display, and I find it very ergonomic.

Also, and correct me if I'm wrong (like I need to say that around here), isn't a digital gauge (integrated) more accurate than an analogue guage? In my short experience, I find they are.

And for what it's worth, I'm glad to see SeaJay posting here. He's one of a small handful of people on this board that can make an articulate arguement (whether I agree or not), have the facts to back it up, and not resort to personal shots. (Don't worry Pufferfish, I know you were kidding).

I found an interesting thread and posted to it. It's definitely interesting when someone advises to simply let someone else die.

:D

Wow, lookie that... You're right... I didn't even realize it. I'm in Yankee territory. :D

So... What's up y'all... Eh? Y'all have some of dem moose-burgers? I always wanted to give those things a try, "eh." :D Brought with me some Lowcountry "Shrump." Eh.

I'm still tryin' to understand the concept of having to cut the water open before you dive it. Yankees do some weird things... Eh.

Lol.

It just kills me to see people trust their computers like that. I've gotten myself in trouble a couple of times doing that... And I ain't havin' to cut my water with a chainsaw first... Know what I mean?

I'm flattered by the accusations of "technophobe," but that ain't me. My skills are rec only.

on my way wanda once bubbled...
I was thinking this winter to purchase a air intergrated dive computer, I had my mind made up to get a suunto cobra, I have seen them around and was inpressed with there the number of functions it offered. Just resently I saw a new dive computer made by scubapro uwatec's Smart COM and I am smitten by all its functions so know I am truely confused, on which one to go with, I already in the past year have made some bad decisions on dive equipment or lets say, purchased some equipment not suitable for me. If anyone has some advice on this topic please led it forward, I just do not want to make another mistake and purchase this item wishing I had the bought the other. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: ;-0

Rely on your tables and your brain.
Use a computer only as a backup.
I would never get a air intergrated Computer!!!
I did have one, a suunto eon. "I think that's what it was called"
It crapped out on me inside a freighter, two levels down.
The info. that it told me was-
Depth 265'- I was approx. 85'
Bottom time 235 minutes - I was about 15 minutes into the dive.
Air 0000- I had 2300 just before
was buzzing and flashing I was ascending too fast.
when I got to the surface it still read depth 130'

I still use one, NOT that one! a Suunto Solution A. but just as a back up for my brain.

Problem: Brain getting old, not working real great. :(

I also have a old 1988 Uwatec that I lend out to customers. never had a problem with it yet! It must have a couple of 1000 dives on it.

SeaJay once bubbled...
I found an interesting thread and posted to it. It's definitely interesting when someone advises to simply let someone else die.

:D

Wow, lookie that... You're right... I didn't even realize it. I'm in Yankee territory. :D

So... What's up y'all... Eh? Y'all have some of dem moose-burgers? I always wanted to give those things a try, "eh." :D Brought with me some Lowcountry "Shrump." Eh.

I'm still tryin' to understand the concept of having to cut the water open before you dive it. Yankees do some weird things... Eh.

Lol.

Yankee's!!!
What did we here in Canada do, to be insulted like that!!!
One thing we always had in common with the south is our feeling about Yankees :D
I use to think you were a nice guy!!

{disclaimer} This is a joke! only a joke not meant to hurt or insult the damm yankees :)

Hiliarous...

Perhaps Canadians and Southerners are of the same mentality. :D

I dunno, though... Cutting the water with a chain saw first... That's kinda weird, y'all. Lol... Eh.

'Course, diving in alligator territory isn't real bright either, I suppose. :D

Y'all are a friendly group, though... And y'all have a great rep for beautiful women, great beer, and a terrific sense of humor. I guess you've got to have that in order to put up with those Yanks. :D

Alright, y'all.. Canada is invited to my house for an oyster roast next weekend. :D

My house.

Will y'all take me to a place to see the Aurora Borealis? Never seen that... There's no place where I can sit under a palmetto tree with a beer and some boiled peanuts and watch it, is there? Eh?

SeaJay once bubbled...
Hiliarous...

Perhaps Canadians and Southerners are of the same mentality.

I dunno, though... Cutting the water with a chain saw first... That's kinda weird, y'all. Lol... Eh.

'Course, diving in alligator territory isn't real bright either, I suppose.

Y'all are a friendly group, though... And y'all have a great rep for beautiful women, great beer, and a terrific sense of humor. I guess you've got to have that in order to put up with those Yanks.

Alright, y'all.. Canada is invited to my house for an oyster roast next weekend.

My house.

Will y'all take me to a place to see the Aurora Borealis? Never seen that... There's no place where I can sit under a palmetto tree with a beer and some boiled peanuts and watch it, is there? Eh?
Chain saw is a integral piece of dive gear.....Humm, might even work on them alligators :D

What time is the Oyster roast next weekend???

Come on up, we can sit under a fir tree with beer and hot pizza
and watch the northen lights. We drink real beer here not that watered down stuff they sell down there :wink:

Ah yes.. The beautiful women......... We try to keep quiet about that, so the damm yankee's leave them alone :D

Divedude... you seem to be working under a false assumption... I can assure you that SeaJay is NOT A YANKEE! And you may get yourself into deep water if you keep referring to him as such. He is a Southerner... If you wish to keep things here civil, may I respectfully suggest either: Southern Gentleman or -- if he gets rowdy -- Cracker :)

And in case you've never tried them, BOILED PEANUTS go very well with CANADIAN BEER... now that's a blending of cultures!

Take care...

Doppler once bubbled...
Southern Gentleman or -- if he gets rouwdy -- Cracker :)

Hahahahahahaaaaa!!! First name: Red; Last name: Neck. :D

And in case you've never tried them, BOILED PEANUTS go very well with CANADIAN BEER... now that's a blending of cultures!

I don't know what I'd do... :D My taste buds might explode!

'Round here, they call them "boah p-nahts." Southerners are a lazy bunch when it comes to pronouncing the consonants. :D

Oyster roast happens all weekend next weekend... We're starting on Friday night and ending sometime Sunday afternoon. Oh yeah... We'll be taking a break to do some wreck diving off the coast.

Y'all are invited. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom