re: air intergrated dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

on my way wanda once bubbled...
I have heard alot on the cobra but has anyone experienced the scubapro smart com ????
I also have heard of some tech divers who use dive computer eg suunto and cut tables as well. :hmmm:

Your sort of half right, Suunto computers are fast becoming better known and at the moment to Viper, Stinger, D3 and Vytec are all dual purpose, that is they can be switched to bottom timer mode, like mine does. It's the stop watch feature that the D3 and Stinger that makes them more attractive as it makes your dive planning so much easier.

Tom

I have a cobra and I love it.

the bototm line is that diving with a computer is great but do not take your computer to the limit.

just like you should knwo your limits, the limits of the tables etc.

when I dive I do not wait until the computer tells me I have 1 min left. I make sure that I have a safety margin. you still have to use that other computer (your brain) to decide what to do and when.

The suunto cobra and others ca also be set to be more conservative. which I love because you can adjust for factors that make you more prone to DCS. I have mine set at the most conservative and I have not not yet had a dive where I wished I was able to push the limits and stay down longer.

in the end I trust my computer (suunto) and my computer (brain) aka my training. it has to be a combination of both. to rely on only your computer is foolhardy.

a computer that you can get to guage mode is helpful for when you want to do some more technical stuff in the future.

Thanks

I have a Suunto vyper, it's a great computer and does eveything I need it to.

I put it into gauge mode as soon as it came out of the box and never switched it back again.

Tom has it right, bottom timer on the right arm and brass gauge clipped off to the left hip. Use the Mk 1 Mod 0 computer between your ears to plan your dives.

Kevin Ripley
GUE Tech II, Cave I

No analog gauge set-up and no computer can solve every problem that a scuba diver may encounter.
I submit seajay that the scenario(s) you've described are not solveable by any gauge - they seem to be problems of operator (diver) error. The computer can read your air consumption and calculate your N2 uptake but it can't second guess your behavior.
As others have quite correctly stated, when you have a problem with ANY piece of equipment, ascend.

When computers first appeared, they were not very reliable. Today (2002+) they are incredibly reliable. There have been less recalls for computers than for regulators in the last few years. As has also been pointed out, those recalls have been limited to pretty much one brand and in fact, one model. It appears further that the problem was know in advance and was not acted upon so we can't say for sure that it was a failure or recall rather than a production issue that wasn't corrected.

I do agree with the post about the hoseless or wireless computers. While some love 'em, I'm not really comfortable with RF transmission underwater. It costs more and is more likely to be unreliable - and I can't see the benefit anyway. The SPG hose is not a problem for divers. Get rid of the air line to the 2nd. stage if you want to make diving more comfortable! - not likely in my lifetime.

All of my comments are in the context of recreational sport diving. Techies are a different story and the same parameters do not apply.
Please accept that what is best for tech diving is NOT necessarily right for sport divers (or vice versa).
The Cobra, Wisdom etc or the simpler decom models are perfect for sport diving.

I understand the Computer\Bottom timer issue from all standpoints. Personally I have a Nitek3 I run in computer mode and back it up with an OMS Bottom Timer. I plan my dives ahead of time with tables and usually my deco from plan is extremely similar to the computer. I always stay on the more conservative schedule.

I understand why people use gauge mode and tables BUT, why purchase a dive computer to run in gauge mode? A bottom timer is less expensive and should do the same thing right? I guess the only difference would be more memory features and computers seem to have greater depth ratings? Just wondering.

Also, however cool the hoseless stuff is, I would always back it up with a tried and true analog gauge.

DPV

DPVDiver once bubbled...
I understand why people use gauge mode and tables BUT, why purchase a dive computer to run in gauge mode? A bottom timer is less expensive and should do the same thing right? I guess the only difference would be more memory features and computers seem to have greater depth ratings? Just wondering.

DPV

A couple of reasons here, a decent bottom timer is in the 200 range, a decent stop watch water proof to a couple ata's 150-200 also, a dive computer with both features 400-500 range, instead of 2 pieces of kit, just 1. Bottom timers can not be downloaded to your computer either whereas your computer in any mode can, which is anthor attractive feature.
Plus the Suunto stuff is slim and plain cool cool(kind of important), and you get the best of both worlds here.

Tom R

seahunter once bubbled...

I submit seajay that the scenario(s) you've described are not solveable by any gauge - they seem to be problems of operator (diver) error. The computer can read your air consumption and calculate your N2 uptake but it can't second guess your behavior.
As others have quite correctly stated, when you have a problem with ANY piece of equipment...

False.

You do not have a problem with "any" piece of equipment... And I don't see where "others have quite correctly stated that."

Let me ask you, then... What would YOU have done? Please, explain to us what you would have done in this situation. Especially explain to us what you would have done in situation #2.

...Then please explain what you could have done to prevent the problem.

Once you do that, I believe that you won't need me to tell you why having a computer "do the math" for you actually works against you.

Axeman once bubbled...

when I dive I do not wait until the computer tells me I have 1 min left. I make sure that I have a safety margin. you still have to use that other computer (your brain) to decide what to do and when.

Great answer. Mind telling us when, then, you ascend? 2 mins left? 3? In case you haven't noticed, in the second scenario, there were 9 minutes of gas left... And that wasn't enough, either. Exactly how many minutes is a "safe" margin?

Calm down pal. If your buddy can't remember his training, and relies solely on the "minutes of air left" on his computer instead of his own grey matter, maybe it's Darwin's way of telling him he shouldn't reproduce. Hell, forget training, just read the damn manual.

My Cobra has a lot more information than just NDL and air time remaining. I don't know a single diver (including the newbs) who doesn't watch both their psi and their NDL/air time. The air time remaining is an invaluable tool which also helps divers manage their breathing, and I don't think a couple of horror stories from an obvious technophobe will convince many people otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom