Razor 2.0 or 2.1 or SMS75

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MSargeant
At least that guaranties for memorable fotos and vids :wink:

That wing looks good at first glance by the way, could you share a link to the shop or manufacturer?

Here is an example from a real/original Razor (at 2:40), and the video is by Steve Martin, so it should be close to what can be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9zVGd7Wmpbs#t=162

As you can see the problem you are going on about is much less pronounced. It could be reduced a bit further still, in my opinion at least.

Last edited:
It gives me a place to progress from, generally never have a photo I'm completely happy with, nor do I think I will ever have.

The creator of the wing is a friend who has is a fabricator, and always wanted to keep anonymous and no longer makes them due to ill health, they were very much a 1 time job and I'm upgrading to a diamond wing soon :).

I'm surprised that guy is using the wing at all/weight, last time I was in a pool with stages I didn't use any weight with a thin base layer.

It is definitely going to beachball, but it looks to me like you could get it to beachball *less*. I suggest Shortening the wing bungie, and running it through the wing grommets so the line goes in instead of out. That should hold it on better.

At that point in the dive I'd also switch to the front d rings, but given the beachballing I can see why you wouldn't.

It does, but the way, seem like you might be a bit overweighted on this dive. Your tanks are already quite positively buoyant but you've still go enough weight on to force that much wing inflation.

...surprised that guy is using the wing at all/weight...
I think this video was made during some kind of tryout session or training.
The wing is not fitted perfectly, perhaps it was the dive before reviewing the video and optimizing.
It could have been connected to the backplate directly and that way would not be able to lift up at the top so much and he looks to be over-weighted, for demonstration purposes perhaps.

That can hardly be called a 'ball' at all, can it?
If everything is fitted correctly this can look quite acceptable and feel next to perfect.

It is very hard to find videos or pictures of any sidemount system with a full wing, even for those where the wing-size is a more important part of the overall strategy and part of a professional marketing effort as with the Hollis or Halcyon systems.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 10:38 AM ----------

...I'm upgrading to a diamond wing soon
I would not consider that an upgrade, more of the opposite (I would not want to say there cannot be good reasons for that).
The Diamond wing has several disadvantages, but most important in this case is the 10 Liters of maximum lift.
I would estimate from the picture your current wing has a lot more than that.

Last edited:
It does beachball. Denying it is silly. I'm pretty sure my rig is setup correctly, and these three pics show the wing uninflated, fully inflated, and half-inflated.

upa2atu3.jpg
y9e7abe9.jpg
e5eguhuv.jpg

I do not think your wing is positioned optimally and the harness is a bit loose on you without exposure protection.

But if that is the legendary beachball effect in action, why be bothered about it? Negligible

Last edited:
Wow a genius :p of course the harness is loose --- the can light isn't attached and I'm not wearing a wet suit. Actually it's fine around the waist and top it's just the crotch strap that's loose.

In any event, whether the beachballing is an issue is a different question--the question "does it beachball" is now answered firmly "yes."

Oh-and something you said ages ago about sm on the surface putting you head up like backmount... Totally wrong. Bm on the surface the air floats to the top and it wants to push you face down, but you lie back against it like it was a floAt board and it's relaxing and stays there. You can't do that with the razor because the air stays on the bottom. It wants to flip you face down so the bag is out of the water. You either struggle against it, or you can find a magic combination of body position and partial inflation that less you hold on the surface relaxed.

But this was just another statement from you that tells me you don't have a clue what you're purporting to instruct people about.

It was not me thinking those pictures demonstrate something.
I just pointed out there are flaws in the setup making it look worse than it could have.

...you said ages ago about sm on the surface putting you head up like backmount...
I did not say anything of the kind. You must have misinterpreted something, or are twisting words again.
Your explanation is a bit confused anyway, I do not think it's wrong, but I do not understand what you have written completely, or I do not get the point you are trying to make.

you're purporting to instruct people about.
Another example where you think I am doing something I am clearly not doing.

Put up some pics of yourself in your gear on and off the boat. Let's see how you have it rigged. Let's see what you're diving with and how it hangs.

What I'd like to see is a higher res photo of Razorista diving his Razor in his "typical" configuration. His avatar looks like his wing might be beachballing pretty badly, but it's hard to tell. I'd also like a picture of Razorista diving with EXCESS weights and see how it works.

Oh.....and one of him standing, tank necks being held up by nothing but bungees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom