Razor 2.0 or 2.1 or SMS75

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShaneVB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Went to the LDS and they had a Razor 2.0 for 669 dollars. If I wanted the additional butt pouch it was 700 dollars. I looked online and saw that the Razor 2.1 is now out, but on back-order.

My question is do you think this is a good deal, or should I hold out for the 2.1. Are the improvements in the 2.1 worth waiting? Should I get the butt pouch?

One last question I have in the back of my mind. The SMS75 is now out. Should I get that instead? I can't decide, and have yet to find a dive center where I can try the three on.

Any input would be appreciated!

My lds stocks the SMS 75 and from what I could tell by having a play with it, it felt cheap. The wing is made of a crappy plastic and not re-enforced like a nomad wing. Also the dump valve is located behind the neck. Beats me why they opted with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Difference between the Razor 2 and 2.1 are an improved pouch and the main wing attachment

Both are minor changes and are also sold separately.

Some Razor 2s also have the old neopren logo wrapper on the shoulder that is a bit shorter and does not hold the backup wing inflator as well as the new one does.

Should I get the butt pouch?
Yes
Especially at the price you mentioned. It is sold separately for $75+ at gosidemount.

Both the Razor 2 and Razor 2.1 are close to being perfect.
You might not even notice differences before comparing them directly for a few weeks.

I own one each of the three models of the Razor Pouch and all are useable and perfect in their own way.

If I had the choice I would buy the 2.1.
But if you can only get a 2.0 model now, new, at a price like that and have to wait longer for the 2.1: It can be easily upgraded later and dives just as well without any upgrades.

If you're diving heavy Steel tanks plus stage/deco bottles, get the SMS (or xDeep). If you're diving AL80's get the Razor (or xDeep).

Dave

Can you please expand a bit on your reasoning loquat149?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

he'd be meaning lift size Mike.

Doesn't the razor have 45lbs of lift and the SMS75 only have 40? Wouldn't that make the razor more favourable Despite the "Beach ball effect".

Doesn't the razor have 45lbs of lift and the SMS75 only have 40? Wouldn't that make the razor more favourable Despite the "Beach ball effect".

Yes, on paper you might think that. However, the Razor was designed by someone who mostly dives wet with AL80's. The harness lacks a butt plate for clipping in heavy steel cylinders and the wing was designed to be only partially inflated. The bungees tighten and the wing balls up on your back if you more than partially inflate it.

The SMS was heavily influenced by someone who dives dry with heavy steel cylinders. The harness has a butt plate for clipping in heavy steel cylinders and the wing is laced with bungee cord so it holds its shape when fully inflated.

I'm not sure what the xDeep was designed for, but it has an optional butt plate and holds its shape well when fully inflated. I've used it on TRIMIX dives with a drysuit, cave-filled Faber 95's, an AL80 deco bottle, an AL40 O2 bottle, a dry suit inflation bottle, and a can light. I was quite pleased.

I think you'll be happy with the SMS. You might be happy with the Razor, depending on the type of diving you do.

Dave

Ideal cylinders for the Razor are 12 liter Euro steels and similar - that's what the Razor instructors always communicate at least.
They recommend the Razor for any type of cylinder with few exceptions.

Steve Bogaerts crew is using aluminum because that's the available type in Mexico and they often use more than two stages.

I dove the Razor for month with heavy European 300 Bar steels - it does not need any additional connection points for that at all, it would be totally useless to add a buttplate.

>> and the wing was designed to be only partially inflated.
I think you are mistaken there.
It is just so big that it is hard to find situations to fully inflate it.

It can be fully inflated without any influence on its function.
Having 45 lbs of air on your back is hard to do while still looking streamlined.
If you really measure the profile of the inflated wing you realize that the bulk is mostly an optical illusion, though.

>> I'm not sure what the xDeep was designed for
I can tell you: copying the Razor as cheap as possible while being hard to copy and looking superficially unique itself.

Last edited:
>> I'm not sure what the xDeep was designed for
I can tell you: copying the Razor as cheap as possible while being hard to copy and looking superficially unique itself.

Not a fan then? LOL

I'm interested to know why you feel the Xdeep is a Cheap copy of anything? It certainly seems quite different and unique to me and my untrained eye.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom