Ratio Dive Computers Announces New iX3M 2!! Our Best Dive Computer yet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

he says that he gets GPS readings on it while he is still 10-15 feet underwater.
That would be awesome. Thanks!

I was talking with someone who works at my local dive shop this week, and he has an Atmos Mission (the first, not the Mission 2) and he says that he gets GPS readings on it while he is still 10-15 feet underwater. That surprised me, but that would be great being able to find GPS points while staying lower than most boat drafts.
That is extremely unlikely. The GPS signal is attenuated ~7db by the first 2mm of water, and over 1db per 1cm of additional water. At 10-15 feet of water, the attenuation would be over ~400-500db. Even the very best GPS receivers can't handle a tenth of that attenuation.

That is extremely unlikely. The GPS signal is attenuated ~7db by the first 2mm of water, and over 1db per 1cm of additional water. At 10-15 feet of water, the attenuation would be over ~400-500db. Even the very best GPS receivers can't handle a tenth of that attenuation.
As I mentioned, it surprised me -- but he says he has been able to use the GPS to find his exit point. Perhaps he is wrong on the depth? From a quick look at the numbers, are you saying that about 33 cm (just a bit over a foot) would be about the most possible?

As I mentioned, it surprised me -- but he says he has been able to use the GPS to find his exit point. Perhaps he is wrong on the depth? From a quick look at the numbers, are you saying that about 33 cm (just a bit over a foot) would be about the most possible?
Yes, in that ballpark, and I doubt a wrist GPS would come close to that.

EDIT: I also question whether the Atmos dive computers even display GPS when in dive mode, which I would expect would auto activate by 10 feet. But, I don't have direct knowledge about them.

That's disappointing as I was looking at a Ratio for the GPS capability. I'm curious which dive computer with GPS capability is fastest with gaining an accurate (within 10 meters) once reaching the surface.
I've only got experience with a Garmin MK2s. Seems to acquire the location pretty quickly after surfacing. When I surface, unless I'm planning to go right back down, I'll hit the end dive button. I then start the swim back to the boat. I never timed it, but my watch soon vibrates and displays a message that the location has been saved. It's pretty quick. No more than a few seconds.

Well, finally decided to buy the iX3M2 and now trying to do the initial set up. I'm trying to set the Safety Stop Depth in Dive Settings 2. It seems I can only set it at 0 ft, 3 ft, 6 ft, and if I push again it seems to go back to 0 ft but has a flicker of what looks like a 2 in front of the 0. Will try to attach video below. Has anyone else (especially who uses feet, not meters) experienced this? I'm wondering if this a glitch in the software, or should I return my computer? Also wondering if I set it to the 0 ft with flicker, does that start the safety stop at 20 feet? I'm going to email Ratio also.

Here's another short video showing the flicker:

Well, finally decided to buy the iX3M2 and now trying to do the initial set up. I'm trying to set the Safety Stop Depth in Dive Settings 2. It seems I can only set it at 0 ft, 3 ft, 6 ft, and if I push again it seems to go back to 0 ft but has a flicker of what looks like a 2 in front of the 0. Will try to attach video below. Has anyone else (especially who uses feet, not meters) experienced this? I'm wondering if this a glitch in the software, or should I return my computer? Also wondering if I set it to the 0 ft with flicker, does that start the safety stop at 20 feet? I'm going to email Ratio also.

Here's another short video showing the flicker:
Seems you have a software problem, have you tried downloading the Ratio tool box software and updating the dive computers software? I had a similar issue with my idive colour and that resolved the problem

Seems you have a software problem, have you tried downloading the Ratio tool box software and updating the dive computers software? I had a similar issue with my idive colour and that resolved the problem
Thanks, I've now downloaded the toolbox and updated the computer's software, and it seems to be working fine now. Hoping to get my first dives in with this new computer in a couple of days, if the weather cooperates.

Thanks, I've now downloaded the toolbox and updated the computer's software, and it seems to be working fine now. Hoping to get my first dives in with this new computer in a couple of days, if the weather cooperates.
Glad to hear, safe bubble and enjoy the new toy :)

Back
Top Bottom