Rash Vest under Wetsuit - any extra warmth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw195

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've seen a few sites mentioning wearing a rash vest under a wet suit to get some extra warmth.

Would this actually make much if any difference when diving?

You mean like a dive skin? If so, then it doesn't make you warmer. If you mean something like a lavacore, sharkskin, or similar material then yes - it can help some. I wear a 3mm shorty over a lavacore sometimes. Warmer than either one alone, and a heck of a lot easier to don/doff than my 5/7 wetsuit.

I have a chillguard and it can really help under my full 3mm. My rashguards do not help with warmth at all, only doffing and donning are a bit easier.

Last edited:
Its another added layer between you and the elements. It does help keep my core a bit warmer in my case, when I use it under my 3mm. I actually do this as well when I surf if I need a little more warmth.

I'm a big fan of hooded vests for extra warmth under a wet suit. The vest part is usually pretty thin.

I've seen a few sites mentioning wearing a rash vest under a wet suit to get some extra warmth.

Would this actually make much if any difference when diving?
absolutely try merino top and pants and use socks

Back
Top Bottom