Ranger Vs BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem donning my BP/W on a SoCal dive boat and that is without that hideously engineered H cinch system. I am also not sure what is kludgy about diving a BP/W using a single tank.
You make do with what you're stuck with yourself StefinSB . . .

A single tank attachment & placement on a BP/W can be a "kludgey" compromise to make it fit well & be stable at depth.

A BP&W can indeed be a bit of kludge, particularly if one starts with gear designed for doubles and tries to "adapt" it to singles.

This was exactly what motivated me when I designed the DSS system. Much flatter plate, No STA, *Very* Stable tank, simple to break down post dive, provisions for additional ballast as close to the diver as possible, easier to adjust harness (even without our Glide Harness Adapter)

In short a BP&W optimized from the get go for single tank diving, yet still capable of mounting doubles.

I'd venture 95%+ of the backplate and wings sold in the last ten years will never have a set of doubles mounted to them. Kinda makes sense to avoid adapters etc.

Tobin

A BP&W can indeed be a bit of kludge, particularly if one starts with gear designed for doubles and tries to "adapt" it to singles.

This was exactly what motivated me when I designed the DSS system. Much flatter plate, No STA, *Very* Stable tank, simple to break down post dive, provisions for additional ballast as close to the diver as possible, easier to adjust harness (even without our Glide Harness Adapter)

In short a BP&W optimized from the get go for single tank diving, yet still capable of mounting doubles.

I'd venture 95%+ of the backplate and wings sold in the last ten years will never have a set of doubles mounted to them. Kinda makes sense to avoid adapters etc.

Tobin
Yeah Tobin . . .that high "keel" or center ridge of my old standard Halcyon Backplates was a poor attachment point design in terms of single tank stability; even with a STA and tight cam bands, the tank placement was now levered out a little more making it difficult to reach the tank valve, along with more rotational instability --i.e. any slight roll left or right from horizontal trim and I would immediately torque over into a "snap" roll, on my back looking up at the surface, especially with a weighted STA. . .

On a crowded SoCal cattle boat, you will need every inch that an adjustable BCD or Cinch harness provides in order to mount up & d'on your kit, especially in a thick wetsuit or drysuit.

The idea that a zeagle ranger will take up less room on a dive boat than a BP/W is silly, and very dubious as a reason to buy one or the other. Donning a BP/W with a hogarthian harness is a breeze once you've had a little experience. And anyway, people should purchase dive gear based on how it performs while actually diving, not sitting on a boat.

To the OP, my advice is to buy nothing until you really know what you want. Try diving with a BP/W and a soft back inflate like the zeagle ranger. I suspect once you've done that you will immediately know which is better for your diving.

Yeah Tobin . . .that high "keel" or center ridge of my old standard Halcyon Backplates was a poor attachment point design in terms of single tank stability; even with a STA and tight cam bands, the tank placement was now levered out a little more making it difficult to reach the tank valve, along with more rotational instability --i.e. any slight roll left or right from horizontal trim and I would immediately torque over into a "snap" roll, on my back looking up at the surface, especially with a weighted STA. . .

Yup, but we fixed those problems. Flatter plate, shallow center channel, and no STA brings the cylinder in much closer to the diver. That keeps the CG closer to the diver.

Ballast plates that bolt on to the back plate, not the elevated STA. Again this improves stability by reducing the "arm" on the over turning moment.

I try to avoid adapters whenever possible, and back plates are no exception.

Tobin

i disagree with having to go to an aluminum backplate, especially for single tank diving in California, you'll always need the ballast from the steel plate.

WRT the wing nuts, the DSS rigs don't require an STA and have a very brilliant design that doesn't require anything to be done to the cam bands to remove the wing.

For CA, that would be true. I dive all year in SE FL and use a 7, 5, and 3 mm full suit. The steel plate is fine for any combination except for my 3mm and a steel tank, for that, it's too heavy.

i disagree with having to go to an aluminum backplate, especially for single tank diving in California, you'll always need the ballast from the steel plate.

If you never travel, get a steel plate. If you travel and care about luggage weight, get the aluminum.

i travel with a steel plate with no problem, it's only about 3lbs heavier than the aluminum plates and it fits in my carryon so it is a nonissue. Beauty of the DSS plates packing as flat as they do. The kydex plates from dss are infinitely better than any aluminum plate for long term durability though, so if you are going for a less negative plate, definitely go there. I have yet to see an aluminum plate that had an STA or doubles put on it that didn't have rounded out bolt holes from the abrasion. The Kydex plate is a much better design

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom