Rainy Season Roatan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tejasdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So how rainy is the rainy season in Roatan? I see some pretty good airfare for Dec-Jan.

Is it a occasional rain ? or days of down pours ?

The only trip I have made was in June, had rain at night, and early am, but cleared out by time to dive.

:confused:

oct-jan/feb is rainy season, nov-dec seems to be the worst of it. but its all a matter of luck, it can just rain occasionally at night or it can pour down all day for days at a time. that said i've had guests the last two years at thanksgiving and christmas/new year and the weather has been lovely for them. viz is definitely reduced from nov. until around the end of feb.

Plan on rain everyday for hours in November and december, if it is less than that you will be happy. Everyone with any time on the Islands has had guests that had great weather during rainy season but most, unless they work for the chamber of commerce have experienced many less than great weather days. I will be on Roatan during the rainy season, I am also on the Island about 4 months throughout the year, If I were plannning a once a year or so vacation I would not plan it at this time

Dec-Jan is still the Rainy season. Not Hurricane season, maybe not even Tropical Storm season, but rainy, oh yes.

Do some searching here on this forum for "weather". Some very detailed explanations as to why certain weather pattern affect Roatan in the way they do. Utila has different issues from the same weather patterns.

December and January can pretty well suck. It can suck big time on the North/West with a "Norther", which are very common. You can at least dive the South side, but it isn't winning any prizes either.

we were just there(June 2-9) and apparently it rained the week before, then the week after...we got lucky!

we were just there(June 2-9) and apparently it rained the week before, then the week after...we got lucky!

Has nothing to do with rainy season. Rains in June are most likelt passing storm with little affect or effect, not sure which, on visability or conditions on a daily basis, Why would someone even post about june trip when this thread was about rainy seson?

we were there June 9-16...1 brief shower while we were having breakfast....sunny all week...

We've gone in December the last two years. The first year was for two weeks, and 8 days the second. The first year We had more wind then rain and AKR bused us to the south side for much of the week. Didn't seem to affect dive schedule that much and vis was good. The second year we had great weather all week until the last two days and it rained like I've never seen it rain before. My dive mask box on the inside of the cabana near the window had and inch of rain in it. I only had two dives affected but for those coming in I'm sure it affected the first part of thier vacation.

Dec-Jan is still the Rainy season. Not Hurricane season, maybe not even Tropical Storm season, but rainy, oh yes.

Do some searching here on this forum for "weather". Some very detailed explanations as to why certain weather pattern affect Roatan in the way they do. Utila has different issues from the same weather patterns.

December and January can pretty well suck. It can suck big time on the North/West with a "Norther", which are very common. You can at least dive the South side, but it isn't winning any prizes either.

Ditto, Doc.......I also suggest a postponement until well after reainy season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom