Rainy Season Roatan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it a occasional rain ? or days of down pours ?

Yes and Yes.

You can expect to count on all of possibility of all of the following - sunny days, calm days, windy days, occasional rain, days of non-stop down pouring.

The problem is you can't predict which ones you'll get and how much of each. Diving could be uneffected or greatly effected to the point of no diving. You could end up with an entire week of perfect weather and the next week it could rain non-stop for a week.

There is a reason that things are cheaper during rainy season, it's because of the very high probability to experience bad weather. If you decide to roll the dice looking for a bargain vacation during rainy season you'll take your chances at seeing if pays off or not.

The nice thing is that the Bay Islands are South of the historical Hurricane tracks.

Picture8-8-1-1.png

The downside is that, no matter the weather, the sand flies still suck.

My wife and I were on Roatan for the last two weeks of November last year. The first week it was quite nice, mid 80's half sun half clouds with an occasional shower. The second week we had rain every day, high winds, no sun and highs right around 70. Surface intervals were very uncomfortable and my wife didn't dive much.

I hit :search: on this :sblogo: forum and voila... time to re-post this, I s'pose...

SEVEN-YEAR PERIOD
Month.... Average Temp... Average inches of rain... Average rainy days
January......76.9.........................12.18..............................13
February.....78.6..........................3.52...............................8
March.........80.6..........................2.66................................4
April...........82.0...........................9.6................................3
May............83.4..........................2.11 ..............................4
June...........84.4...........................2.22 .............................5
July............84.4...........................6.35 .............................11
August........84.4...........................5.21 ............................11
September...85.0..........................4.99 ..............................7
October.......82.4...........................14.97 ............................14
November....79.1...........................19.89 ..........................18
December....78.0...........................14.26 ...........................16

My wife and I were on Roatan for the last two weeks of November last year. The first week it was quite nice, mid 80's half sun half clouds with an occasional shower. The second week we had rain every day, high winds, no sun and highs right around 70. Surface intervals were very uncomfortable and my wife didn't dive much.

We were there the week with the 80s and sunshine. It started to turn bad on our last day there. You just never know.

I guess I should have thumbed through the pages before I made my post earlier. Sorry!

Airfare for the first week of Dec is $587pp, which is half the price of spring-summer. I was hoping someone would tell me the rainy season was over by then. Oh well.... gonna have to think about it.

robin

woohoo so we have a very good chance of having ****ty weather on our trip in november, then again if you go diving you going get wet anyway

the question is if it rains do they still go out?

woohoo so we have a very good chance of having ****ty weather on our trip in november, then again if you go diving you going get wet anyway

the question is if it rains do they still go out?

On our November trip, we went out every day as scheduled. The first full day it rained all day... vis sucked. The next day it only rained a bit off and on, so vis was a tad better. By the 3rd day, it was only a light shower and mostly sunny, vis was much much better. By the 4th day it was gorgeous and sunny, vis good. I think the 5th day it rained hard overnight, but day was fine.... We did not miss a single dive, in fact we did 4-5 per day all week. We did 2 night shore dives and wish we had done more.

So that is sorta the point I am at currently. Do we go ahead and roll the dice for the first week of Dec? Or do we go somewhere else and plan to visit CCV in the spring/summer?

Best part of trip was how much we loved the resort and ease of diving, the dive staff, the dive boats, the fun people we met.
Worst part of trip was the surface intervals, everyone was chilly on the boat, and the bad vis the first 2 days. We still saw great stuff on dives, just lousy photos because it was dark and gloomy with particulate in water.

you can see my trip report here: CoCoView Resort, 2008
as you can see, we did 23 dives!

I am just waiting to hear back if they have rooms available to make my decision.

thank you robint, really enjoyed reading your trip report, looks awesome
we're booked at Mayan Princess for the week of november 12, can hardly wait, maybe we get lucky and have good weather :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom