Rainy Season Diving Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, I kinda mouthed off a bit. Kt diving is super fun. Don't get me wrong. I just felt like meat in the meat grinder once I had gone throug. I felt as if there was an intention to just get me to do my IFC before I could get paid employment. All shops are differnt.

Oh yeah. Don't do your dm in ok Tao. You get no love from dive shops anywhere. No work. Kt is a joke to dive pros. Just high customer volume. Fun dive. "going pro" is just a money grab. They want you to put another dollar in. They'll gas you up saying there soooo much opportunity in it. Then when you finish you are ****ed. There are exceptions of course. Fun diving is the ****, resorts want you to take courses becuaae they cost like 7-25 000. , whereas just striaght diving would be less expensive.p

Deja-vu...:daydreaming:

Remember the "East vs West Coast" bash-threads??? :bash: :chairfight: :catfight:

Right, I kinda mouthed off a bit. Kt diving is super fun. Don't get me wrong. I just felt like meat in the meat grinder once I had gone throug. I felt as if there was an intention to just get me to do my IFC before I could get paid employment. All shops are differnt.

This is really normal with resort diving, at the end of the day, dive shops are businesses and are there to make money. I cant remember the number of times, as a potential customer I have heard exagerations (lies) from dive centres. In some cases this could just be over enthusiasm from shop staff, but in some cases it has certainly been done with the intent to decieve in order to make money.
As was stated by someone else on this thread, Koh Tao diving is probably some of the cheapest in the world, certainly some of the cheapest I have experienced. But as you have found it would appear, cheapness is not always the best as sometimes corners are cut and the service may not be what you would expect in other locations in order to achieve such low prices.

This is really normal with resort diving, at the end of the day, dive shops are businesses and are there to make money. I cant remember the number of times, as a potential customer I have heard exagerations (lies) from dive centres. In some cases this could just be over enthusiasm from shop staff, but in some cases it has certainly been done with the intent to decieve in order to make money.

Yes this happens a lot. It is unfortunate that this makes it very difficult to be an honest (when it comes to marketing) dive centre owner because you have to compete with everybody else's lies.

In my experience most of the wild exagerations come from agents. This is because dive shops usually (but not always) care about their long term reputation. This will lead to good word of mouth marketing and return business.

However when you have fibbing agents in Khao San claiming "one hundred percent" dives with Whale Sharks at Koh Tao then it means that divers only find out the truth after they have handed over their money.

This is very frustrating for those of us in the industry who are attempting to manage realistic expectations for divers whilst also giving them hope that maybe this time they will get to see mantas or whale sharks.

Anyone who knows Thai diving knows that more often than not you will not see Whale Sharks when you dive. When I have divers coming to dive Richelieu interrogating me about Whale Sharks I would normally tell them they have about a 10% chance during peak times. (This is only a small overestimation)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom