Questions about diving Koh Lipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just at Lipe last week; diving the 17th, 18th and 19th of April. Conditions were mostly awful with strong currents (new moon) and poor to fair visibility. I didn't get enough footage to make a video of the trip. I'll post one photo I took of my wife so you can judge the visibility on your own. It's unedited taken with a GoPro 10.

We had one horrific dive at Eight Mile. The current was so strong we had to work our way down the buoy line. When we reached 20 meters, visibility was only a few meters. We abandoned the dive when we encountered a diver in distress. He had a 15 liter tank, but after 20 minutes of diving he was way under 50 bar. We jointly decided to accompany him to the surface.

That said, I've had a number of really nice dive trips in the vicinity of Lipe. You never know.

Mam.jpg

Taken at Koh Usen, June 17th, 4:26 PM.

I was just at Lipe last week; diving the 17th, 18th and 19th of April. Conditions were mostly awful with strong currents (new moon) and poor to fair visibility. I didn't get enough footage to make a video of the trip. I'll post one photo I took of my wife so you can judge the visibility on your own. It's unedited taken with a GoPro 10.

We had one horrific dive at Eight Mile. The current was so strong we had to work our way down the buoy line. When we reached 20 meters, visibility was only a few meters. We abandoned the dive when we encountered a diver in distress. He had a 15 liter tank, but after 20 minutes of diving he was way under 50 bar. We jointly decided to accompany him to the surface.

That said, I've had a number of really nice dive trips in the vicinity of Lipe. You never know.

View attachment 789097
I was on Koh Tao 1 to 11 June. The vis was about the same, strong currents and high wind from the West. Most diving was done on the East coast lee, where the boats were moored up.

All very useful information(#12 and #13) on current.
My trip to Koh Lanta and Lipe is from mid Jan 2024 for 2 wks. Therefore I can avoid the New Moon(11th Jan) but not the Full Moon(26th).

April is prime diving season for Ko Lipe, however, if possible plan around the biggest Thai holiday of Songkran, which falls the week of the 13th. The island will be totally swamped during that time; f you must go during that time, book your accommodations well in advance (like last week). I really like Adang Divers...others I can recommend are Castaway and Forra divers.

View attachment 789097
Last week was June and last month was May (per your June 23 post) did you mean you dived in June? Yes, it's monsoon season now till at least October on the Andaman Sea coast of Thailand and diving will be bad until it ends. Being an avid Thailand based diver, I'm surprised you went to Lipe at this time.

Last week was June and last month was May (per your June 23 post) did you mean you dived in June? Yes, it's monsoon season now till at least October on the Andaman Sea coast of Thailand and diving will be bad until it ends. Being an avid Thailand based diver, I'm surprised you went to Lipe at this time.
My wife is a busy attorney, so we go when we can.

That said, one of our best South Andmand/Lipe dives was in August, in the midst of monsoon season:

That said, one of our best South Andmand/Lipe dives was in August, in the midst of monsoon season:

Perfect answer to someone who know not much about diving in the Kingdom but with condescending attitude.
"What you don't know, you don't know."

@Buadhai is based in Thailand so he has inclination and time to explore the sites even during off season. His courage and determination is to be admired.
How about you? The answer is so obvious, isn't it?
When the going gets tough only the tough get going. The rest stay at home watching TV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom