Koh Tao underwater photography advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeeCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning a holiday at Koh Tao in December and would like to get advice regarding underwater photography equipment for the trip.
Does it have sense to have a full set of lenses in this location? The "full set" means
  • macro (105mm)+ wet super-macro lenses + macro port,
  • rectilinear wide angle (16-35mm) + extension + 10" dome
  • fish eye (15mm) + 4" dome
I went through many diving reports, but can't get to any conclusion in this regard.
Any reasonable help will be much appreciated.
Please do not flood the topic with irrelevant posts and advice: go to another area, use soap-box cameras, etc.

Not dived Koh Tao since 99 so changed loads, but December is the wrong time of year for Koh Tao, you would be better going to Western Thailand

I only shoot with a Canon G12 with Canon housing, mostly macro (goby, shrimp, etc), but turtles, Black-Tip Reef sharks and one time, a Whale Shark from Koh Tao. I guess be prepared for the whole gamut of sizes, but whatever you have attached with determine what size of things you can shoot for the day?

Dear @noserider, @Blackcrusader and @divinh - if you read my message I asked for reasonable help, not for stupid advice to go to another area or use TG6 or G12. I'm using whatever I have and feel necessary.
@Blackcrusader - any person with minimal knowledge in underwater photography wouldn't ask about what camera I'm using - it's obvious from the info provided, it's full-frame DSLR. The exact model and/or maker does not matter for the answer to my question.

Calm Down - LeeCat, that was an arsey response, I offered friendly advise based on loads of trips to Koh Tao, probably before you even knew the island existed, If you are as experienced as you claim to be, you would not schedule a trip to Koh Tao in December so perhaps you are stupid scheduling a holiday to a mediocre dive location in an off season when vis is likely to be poor.

Dear @noserider, @Blackcrusader and @divinh - if you read my message I asked for reasonable help, not for stupid advice to go to another area or use TG6 or G12. I'm using whatever I have and feel necessary.
@Blackcrusader - any person with minimal knowledge in underwater photography wouldn't ask about what camera I'm using - it's obvious from the info provided, it's full-frame DSLR. The exact model and/or maker does not matter for the answer to my question.
Don't expect a lot of help if you are going to be snarky when its offered. Jus sayin

Don't expect a lot of help if you are going to be snarky when its offered. Jus sayin
Do you think he has many friends in real life? With the attitude shown I bet he is the last person on the boat to get a buddy :)

Calm Down - LeeCat, that was an arsey response, I offered friendly advise based on loads of trips to Koh Tao, probably before you even knew the island existed, If you are as experienced as you claim to be, you would not schedule a trip to Koh Tao in December so perhaps you are stupid scheduling a holiday to a mediocre dive location in an off season when vis is likely to be poor.
Perhaps Koh Phangan is the main attraction! LOL.
Full Moon Party 08th Dec.
New Year Party 31st Dec.

Back
Top Bottom