Koh Tao underwater photography advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For very touchy respondents - below is an example of a helpful answer:
1665396004053.png

Not dived Koh Tao since 99 so changed loads, but December is the wrong time of year for Koh Tao, you would be better going to Western Thailand
The National Marine Parks in Koh Lanta and Similan are officially open on 15th Oct until May 2023.

Low season: lower cost, few divers, fewer dive shops operating, less frequent ferry transfer, rough sea etc etc. Green and murky water, perfect for photography.
What else do I need for a diving holiday? The Western side of the Kingdom.

Perhaps Koh Phangan is the main attraction! LOL.
Full Moon Party 08th Dec.
New Year Party 31st Dec.
Maybe a young backpacker that thinks he will be gods gift if he turns up with a big camera at zero to hero island

If he wanted a helpful response perhaps he should work on his online persona a bit

Dear @noserider, @Blackcrusader and @divinh - if you read my message I asked for reasonable help, not for stupid advice to go to another area or use TG6 or G12. I'm using whatever I have and feel necessary.
@Blackcrusader - any person with minimal knowledge in underwater photography wouldn't ask about what camera I'm using - it's obvious from the info provided, it's full-frame DSLR. The exact model and/or maker does not matter for the answer to my question.

I said /I/ shoot with a G12. I didn't advise you to do the same. The G12 handles both wide and, somewhat, macro, which allows for a range of situations... which led to the question of whether what you attach for the day will determine what you can shoot. On the day of the Whale Shark, I was prepared to shoot macro, as I usually do, but a Whale Shark appeared out of no where. It's rare that a Whale Shark would appear by the island, but it does happen. What would you do if you had macro attachments? Can you reconfigure fast enough?

Back
Top Bottom