Quiz - Skills & Environment - Diving at Altitude

Special procedures must be followed when diving at altitude because:

• a. nitrogen (sic) narcosis may occur at shallower depths.

• b. the ambient atmospheric pressure at altitude is less than at sea level.

• c. actual depths must be converted to theoretical depths to find no decompression limits in the RDP™

• d. all of the above are correct.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Don't we love controversies. Boulderjohn pointed out how he arrived at a different answer by his interpretation of the question. I pointed out my thinking in arriving at the correct answer, as others have, according to the OP who I assume looked up PADI's answer. Regardless of what you think is the right answer(s) the one thing that is clear is PADI wrote an ambiguous question. So, get over it.

PADI wrote an ambiguous question
It was not really ambiguous, it was just wrong. And they have corrected it. Pedro posted an old version.
Like you say, get over it.

Wow! Don't we love controversies. Boulderjohn pointed out how he arrived at a different answer by his interpretation of the question. I pointed out my thinking in arriving at the correct answer, as others have, according to the OP who I assume looked up PADI's answer. Regardless of what you think is the right answer(s) the one thing that is clear is PADI wrote an ambiguous question. So, get over it.
As has been pointed out several times already, the problem is not so much that the question is ambiguous as it is that they accidently identified the wrong answer as being correct and went too long without changing it, probably because instructors dealing with it went through something like this thread trying to explain why the wrong answer was correct.

When I went through the process of getting trimix certifications and gas blender certifications from TDI some years ago, every test I took had mistakes. Those tests were 10-12 years old at the time. My instructor (same one for all of them) downloaded the tests from the TDI website. They were in MS Word format, so TDI could have corrected them and uploaded the new versions to the site in a matter of seconds. In what I considered to be the most serious case, when I pointed out the mistake, the instructor said that in all the years he had been teaching the class, no one (including him) had noticed it. Everyone had just assumed the answer identified as correct was OK and moved on.

I am sure that is what happened here.

I didn’t get a reply when I asked SSI the source of this statement in the free Physics class about dive computers:

“Going deep, shallow then deep again will yield unreliable results”

I don’t think I care enough to chase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom