Quickest path to deco diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to avoid trimix if I can. Just air and deco bottles.
You didn’t indicate how deep you’ve dived. What if you’re narced out of your gourd at 150ft? Will you still insist on doing those dives on air?

The greatest improvement to my diving skills came with my AN/DP course. Up until then any courses that I had taken had not provided any real challenge. My instructor really challenged me on the AN/DP course, it is not just learning how to do decompression.

Some of the most fun you will every have on a trimix dive is watching all the deep air divers perform at depth that claim to be good on air deep. Then asking them specific questions about what they were doing down there, afterward on the boat.
Yeah yeah…all to common a statement, you were narced out of your mind and just did not know it.

In fact I was not and have been quite surprised by it. I have perfect memory of all my dives and in fact often do math in my head just to see if I am thinking clearly.

I am not arguing that everyone will react the same way I have, I said quite the opposite. I am also not saying that I would not experience narcosis under similar circumstances or higher workloads but I have not yet found my point of being affected by narcosis, and I have been trying to find it to understand my limits.

Actually, this just might be the "quickest way to deco" that the OP was seeking!

ETA: The course description specifies a 40 m max depth. So, 130 fsw here in the U.S. Seems reasonable to me. I would hope that the course teaches redundancy (to some degree) with respect to back gas, and deco on backgas in the case of failure of the deco bottle.

rx7diver

for many there is no problem with air at 150. I did AN/DP dives, and several since, on air at 150 with deco of 50 to 100%. Getting narced is a very individual. thing and it is important to understanding your own limits and reactions. For me I have done 150 plus on air with no problems, others get narced at 100. In the end it is about progressive penetration and understanding your limits.
Rather, I'd say many aren't aware of the degree of narcosis they're experiencing. Some may develop an awareness after many dives. Some apparently acclimatize to it after many dives. We have all these variables to the risk involved, and then we have to apply our individual risk tolerance to decide how far to push the envelope. Me, if I have more than two beers I take an Uber home.

You didn’t indicate how deep you’ve dived. What if you’re narced out of your gourd at 150ft?

Not sure. Was blacked out so I couldn't see my depth gauge. Diving in the icw is fun....

Rather, I'd say many aren't aware of the degree of narcosis they're experiencing. Some may develop an awareness after many dives. Some apparently acclimatize to it after many dives. We have all these variables to the risk involved, and then we have to apply our individual risk tolerance to decide how far to push the envelope. Me, if I have more than two beers I take an Uber home.

Are you implying that propensity for alcohol intoxication is related to susceptibility to narcosis?

...As stated above, effects of narcosis are personal, I have been deeper than 130 feet just 36 times, 1.6%. Most of these dives were between 130 and 150 feet, deep of 161 feet. I did acceptably well and am still here...

I have a personal hypothesis that one's reaction to narcosis is somewhat dependent on previous experiences. I'm 68 and have had many previous experiences. I have never had dark narc, paranoia, fear, or other adverse reactions to whatever degree of narcosis I have experienced. Of course, I have no real data to help accept or reject my hypothesis.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom