Quick vise question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

similar to victor, I've gone thru the Apeks course and we were told the torque values were there to prevent people from putting too much torque on the various components. Once you learned to feel for when the metal hit metal it was time to stop and the term "snug" was used quite often....

Thanks guys. Ended up going middle of the road with the 4 inch Irwin and ordering the extra jaws Jim linked.

[sarcasm]Hold your big wrench in the big vise, find an extension for the handle (threaded rod) that goes into the reg. Put your reg into the now stable wrench and use one hand to steady the reg in the wrench while you apply slowly increasing force on the "breaker bar".[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]Hit nothing with your hand. Use a deadfall hammer if you need to do that. Told that by two machinists, one a tool maker I used to work with. [/sarcasm]

Round off bolts? Yes, if you use an adjustable wrench. Use the proper wrench for the job. The suggestion was for a petite female who is quite capable and careful.
FTFY! :thumb:

that's how you strip threads, round off bolts etc. Far better to hit the end of the wrench with the palm of your hand to jolt something loose and to always try to tighten before you loosen. Whole area under the curve thing.

LowViz forgot his sarcasm font, methinks! :)

... LowViz forgot his sarcasm font, methinks! :)
Yes and no. It's the new kinder and gentler me, Jackie. :D

I used to use my hand as a convenient hammer until a machinist showed me what repetitive stress can do over time. Getting older, not worth it anymore...

Yes and no. It's the new kinder and gentler me, Jackie. :D

I used to use my hand as a convenient hammer until a machinist showed me what repetitive stress can do over time. Getting older, not worth it anymore...
If it helps, I read it as "you'll hurt your hand" not as "impact on wrench is bad." I hurt my hand on a grumpy bolt doing work on my wife's car. I get that. However, reg work isn't usually on that scale of force so a few gentle bumps a few times per year is no big deal to me.

Thanks ams511 but 42 dollars for a wooden box! Now why would a DIY'er want to BUY the box. :wink:

I meant no offense but there are reasons why people may not want to build the box. For example you may not have the tools or the time.

Just a thought but when you are at Lowes or Home Depot you can check out the B&D workmate tables the tops can be used as a vice. You may even have one in the garage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom