Quick vise question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold your big wrench in the big vise, find an extension for the handle (threaded rod) that goes into the reg. Put your reg into the now stable wrench and use one hand to steady the reg in the wrench while you apply slowly increasing force on the "breaker bar".

that's how you strip threads, round off bolts etc. Far better to hit the end of the wrench with the palm of your hand to jolt something loose and to always try to tighten before you loosen. Whole area under the curve thing.

Hit nothing with your hand. Use a deadfall hammer if you need to do that. Told that by two machinists, one a tool maker I used to work with.

Round off bolts? Yes, if you use an adjustable wrench. Use the proper wrench for the job. The suggestion was for a petite female who is quite capable and careful.

deadblow hammer is in fact preferred, but for regulators the bottom of your fist works pretty good. Either way I never recommend using leverage for loosening things when you can use impact

I use an aluminum vise with soft jaws like the one pictured. I add a neoprene sheet just for additional padding. Yes, you do need a vise to properly torque a yoke bolt. Those that don't use a vise probably don't use a torque wrench either.

vise.jpg

... Those that don't use a vise probably don't use a torque wrench either. ...
Brings up a good point.

My LDS is closing and their reg tech is now teaching me how to properly service my own regs. Years ago, he started out using a torque wrench and now does everything by feel. I wonder if this is more common than not with experienced techs...

The large vise is mounted on the workbench in the garage, an inconvenient and less then clean location. I have setup my "shop" indoors in my workroom. My thoughts are to buy a smaller vise just to use for "clean" projects. And of course its an oppotunity to buy another toy. :D

Victor, you might have the right idea. Big vise for desperation measures and the panavise as that third hand.

I think you've come up with the correct solution. One more toy you might consider making or buying is a regulator box. Here is a link to a thread where I posted a file with a picture of one in use (post number 68) http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/re...weakling-needs-tips-torque-4.html#post6185390 The entire thread is also worth reading as there are some very interesting and helpful ideas regarding torquing regulator fittings.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Now planning a day trip tomorrow to Home Depot, Lowes and Northern Tools.

Couv. Thank you for that link. Clicked on so many levels.

Brings up a good point.

My LDS is closing and their reg tech is now teaching me how to properly service my own regs. Years ago, he started out using a torque wrench and now does everything by feel. I wonder if this is more common than not with experienced techs...

I would say it is the same for most mechanics/engineers as well.

I would say it is the same for most mechanics/engineers as well.
What's interesting is I took a tech course and became a Hollis Certified reg technician. This meant getting sponsored by a shop and going to one of a very small number of places to take the course. Torque values were mentioned and tested, but we were told that feel was better than numbers once we knew what to feel for. Anybody mechanically inclined should have no problems without a torque wrench. I have one but don't use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom