Quick vise question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have access to a ridiculously heavy duty vise but it is overkill for my needs and I would need to buy jaw covers for it anyway if I ever need to clamp any part of the regulator itself. Been looking at the craft and hobby vises but not sure if its sufficient for my needs.

PanaVise 301 Standard PanaVise: Bench Vises: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Or something more like this.

Amazon.com: Olympia Tool 38-604 4-Inch Bench Vise: Home Improvement

or

Shop IRWIN 4-in Vise at Lowes.com

Any opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:
what do you need to put in a vice? Only thing should be the handle that screws into the first stage ports....
That's the plan. So you think the Panavise would do?

We've got those panavises at work, and I don't think they're beefy enough for really getting off a stuck cap. They'd be more than enough for "regular stuff" but not much more useful than using your hand. If you're looking for a third hand, the panavise would be great.

We've got those panavises at work, and I don't think they're beefy enough for really getting off a stuck cap. They'd be more than enough for "regular stuff" but not much more useful than using your hand. If you're looking for a third hand, the panavise would be great.
Thanks. That was my suspicion.

you should only need a vice for really stuck stuff, if you have a big vice, I'd just use that. I've never required a vice for regulator rebuilds, sometimes a third hand would be nice, but I've never needed a vice to get something unstuck so I see no point in purchasing a smaller one since you have a big one.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks. That was my suspicion.

If you have the big vise, you can go through a few different options. I use my tank valves as my vises, but rarely need anything like that. The big vise could be your vise for somethings, and you could get the panavise just for a "third hand." They're useful, they just won't hold up to a ton of torquing and I don't see the point here...unless your big one just takes up too much space.

The large vise is mounted on the workbench in the garage, an inconvenient and less then clean location. I have setup my "shop" indoors in my workroom. My thoughts are to buy a smaller vise just to use for "clean" projects. And of course its an oppotunity to buy another toy. :D

Victor, you might have the right idea. Big vise for desperation measures and the panavise as that third hand.

Hold your big wrench in the big vise, find an extension for the handle (threaded rod) that goes into the reg. Put your reg into the now stable wrench and use one hand to steady the reg in the wrench while you apply slowly increasing force on the "breaker bar".

In reality a basic 4 inch vise will allow you to do any of the work you might need to on a reg. The more important issue is the jaws. If you are going to ever put the reg body in them you must have some type of device that will pad and protect the finish. Basically all the vise is for is to keep the reg from turning. Usually with a handle that screws into one of the ports. You don't really clamp the reg body per se. Even something like these on the faces will work well. You can even take a file if necessary and make your own groove to suit your needs in a block like this. I happen to have access to a variety of materials from rubber to delrin to aluminum and brass bar stock that I can make jaw inserts out of.

Amazon.com: Bessey BV-NVJ Multi-Purpose Vise Jaws (Jaws ONLY): Home Improvement

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom