Quick Question regarding PADI ratings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sslkrissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am just about to make arrangements to go diving in Cozumel with a dive operator that is highly regarded on these forums. However, I just tried to look his operation up on the PADI website, and he is not listed. What does that mean? How can he offer Padi courses if his operation is not listed or ranked by PADI. Should I be worried?

Thanks

That's quite easy,I'm not listed as well and offering PADI courses.
Reason for not listing is,I refuse to pay a heck of a lot of $$$$ for that listing.
It has nothing to do with it,as long as the instructor is a renewed PADI member, they can offer PADI courses.

That's quite easy,I'm not listed as well and offering PADI courses.
Reason for not listing is,I refuse to pay a heck of a lot of $$$$ for that listing.
It has nothing to do with it,as long as the instructor is a renewed PADI member, they can offer PADI courses.
How much for listing?

How much for listing?

Don't have the list on me,but it depends on the listing,
Divecenter
(gold palm)resort
5*center
IDC center

They all cost money,just for a small discount and a link on the PADI site.

Hello,
I am just about to make arrangements to go diving in Cozumel with a dive operator that is highly regarded on these forums. However, I just tried to look his operation up on the PADI website, and he is not listed. What does that mean? How can he offer Padi courses if his operation is not listed or ranked by PADI. Should I be worried?

Thanks

I'd take a good reputation on Scubaboard above a paid for listing on the PADI website any day. :)

Hello,

Thanks

Look up the diveshop personnel on the PADI site. You can also ask the DM and instructors you are diving with for their C-cards and proof of insurance.

Every year when DMs and instructors renew with PADI they get a sticker for their C-card.

The DM sticker for 2008 is green. This is mine:
DivemasterRenewalSticker.jpg

IMG%5D

Look up the diveshop personnel on the PADI site. You can also ask the DM and instructors you are diving with for their C-cards and proof of insurance.

Every year when DMs and instructors renew with PADI they get a sticker for their C-card.

The DM sticker for 2008 is green. This is mine:

I love the scrubbed out PADI number... :) FWIW, mine is IDCS-232295 -- I see it as something that should be more public than virtually any other number (including my vehicle license plate number).

FWIW, the Teaching Status (for Instructors and maybe AI's) is a yellow sticker this year, if it's not printed right on the card.

If there's any suspicion, you can call PADI (1-800-SAY-PADI) and ask for a "Pro Check" -- give them the PADI number or the Member's name, and they should be able to tell you if they're legit.

As mentioned, listing on the PADI website relates only to the shop's IRRA affiliation. The shop doesn't have to be affiliated to offer PADI programs -- as long as the instructors conducting the program are PADI instructors following PADI standards.

Oh, and last I checked... there are no insurance requirements for Mexico. From what I've heard of the legal system there, there's no sense in having insurance, either, unless you're a US-affiliated company.

Hello,

Thanks

If you're just diving, and not taking classes, what difference does it make? Plus, as has been pointed out, the ratings are not earned, they're paid for. Maybe this particular op would rather save the money to keep his prices lower while keeping the service level that has earned him such high regard here..... I wouldn't worry, I'd just dive.....

as has been pointed out, the ratings are not earned, they're paid for.

That's not entirely true. You can't pay for it until you've earned it... there are requirements for number of certs issued, etc.

Maybe this particular op would rather save the money to keep his prices lower while keeping the service level that has earned him such high regard here.

I'm aware of another shop that has found high regard online but has had some spotty interactions with PADI (including the owner having had his teaching status revoked or suspended at one point). Personally, it's alright to dive with them (at least on that basis, I guess), but I'd never participate in *any* class they're offering, as a short-cutting attitude doesn't go away just by changing agencies... :)

I'm not saying that's the case here, only suggesting that sometimes there's more to the story than just that they don't feel like buying it.

Back
Top Bottom