Does my PADI divemaster rating actually expire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
I logged into my padi pro site (first time in a while) and I knew my padi membership needed to be renewed however I see a message saying (The following professional ratings expired 31 December 2022.)
Does this mean if I do not renew by then I would have to re-take my Divemaster course?

PADI tries to make us all believe that we must not have a single gap into the yearly ever growing fee, but that just so that they get their money.

Truth is, if you missed one or two year and get in touch with them they will just ask you to pay (how surprising), that will be it... It cannot really be justified though paying the fee every year or not has nothing to do with keeping your skills fresh.

Hello,
I logged into my padi pro site (first time in a while) and I knew my padi membership needed to be renewed however I see a message saying (The following professional ratings expired 31 December 2022.)
Does this mean if I do not renew by then I would have to re-take my Divemaster course?

I've not been active with PADI for 3-4 years now and I still get contacted at this time every year asking me to renew. I'm sure that if I wanted to renew, which I do not, all I'd have to do is pay my membership fee for the next year and I'd be back in the club.

I have not DMed a class since around 2000 and not paid the fee. My skills are current and better than ever. Never got lost and even eliminated 1# on the trip last week, to 4#.

I don't see the need to renew if I am not working classes.

padi.jpg

Basically, I just do not want to have to re-take the DM course.

Well then keep paying your annual dues. If you wish to continue to work as a DM, plan to in the future, or plan to move onto instructor some day, you're best served keeping current with The Man. Those would be the only reasons to stay current.

The certification itself does not expire. You in fact passed the Divemaster course on a given date that is listed on your card. That doesn't change. I still regularly use my DM card as I find it is the best card to allow charter boats to leave me alone and let me do my own thing. It works better than my Solo or my Trimix cards for that end. Using it as a certification like that has nothing to do with whether or not I'm current with PADI. That only comes into play were I to wish to work or volunteer as a Divemaster. In that case I better be current with PADI and I better have liability insurance.

Basically, I just do not want to have to re-take the DM course.
Pay your dues, but save a lot of money by not buying insurance. Buy the insurance when you decide to start working again.

Pay your dues, but save a lot of money by not buying insurance. Buy the insurance when you decide to start working again.
I would disagree, insurance can prove a lot more useful, and I would definitely not pay the fee without taking an insurance. Being an active dm might very well make you liable in quite a few situation imo.

If you live in the us and have been an active dm, you should keep your insurance for a few years regardless of cost

If you're not in the us, insurance is affordable and always useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom