Quick question about going back in the water after 21 years.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
In 1994 and whilst I was travelling in Malaysia, I took the PADI Open Water Diving Certificate and did the usual 4 dives. Since then, I have not had any further dives. My card and booklet were both last many years ago.

Fast forward to 2015 and in July, I will be going to Egypt with the family, for two weeks.

As well as my daughter wishing to take her Open Water, I would also like to dive but everything that I would have learnt has now been totally forgotten.

Even though I have already taken the Open Water, am I allowed to take it again or do I have to go on a refresher course? As it is now 21 years I would like to start again from scratch and do not mind paying the extra cost.

Many thanks!

I can't see anyone complaining about you taking the OW course again, and yes of course you can take it again. To be honest in the circumstances I think that is a very sensible way for you to go forward.

I first dived with a search an rescue team 35 plus years ago, but then gave up diving for about 20 years until 2009. I just started all over again and did the whole range of courses from scratch.

Enjoy and dive safe :) - Phil.

You're definitely allowed to take it over again. Probably the better idea, a refresher course might work, but if you've indeed "totally forgotten" the basics, then you don't have something "refreshable", it would seem.

Good luck and enjoy Egypt, and best wishes to your daughter. You can go through OW together!

You could take a refresher but honestly if you have the time I would recommend re-taking the open-water course. You will feel so much more confident on your trip!

You can take it again, or a refresher (or, not recommended, jump right in).

I was in a similar situation: my OW was in '93, but didn't dive for about 18 years. While on vacation in the Virgin Islands, we weren't planning it as a dive vacation but my wife went on a discovery dive, and I listened to the brief briefing, then dove with them. I actually remembered a lot of information even though the finer details were a bit fuzzy. My buoyancy was not that horrible but not dangerous or destructive. Lots of fun.

When we got back home, My wife took an OW class and I did the "advanced" class. Felt very comfortable with that.

If I were you, since you have some time before the trip, I would do a refresher.

Edit: on second thought.... re-take the class with your daughter.

happy diving!

My husband was in the same boat when I got certified. He took the class over with me. He was glad he did.

Take it again with your daughter. Will be a great experience!

PS - Your profile says Jersey. Is that East Coast of US our South Coast of UK?

If the former, and you're looking for an instructor...

:D

I would add one thing: do a referral. Do all your academics and pool sessions at home, then do the OW sessions on vacation, so you use your vacation time more efficiently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom