Quick question about a titanium DIN adapter and using it with Nitrox......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paintballpsyco2369

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I have been looking for a DIN adapter for my Mares Mr22 1st stage, and I think I finally found one for sale here. It is from a Mares Ruby reg, and when I checked the parts manuals for the Ruby, and my MR22, I found that they have the same part number. Here is part of the description from the seller through pm's about it: "
Hi Paint
The valve is a Mares part and it is titanium coated, here is an article I found on the reg.
Here comes Ruby, the regulator with a ruby. Revolutionary technology, unmatched performance, dazzling design: this is the Mares jewel Mr22 Ruby Titanium is the "flagship" regulator of the MARES line. Prestige with added performance. The precious Titanium coating is provided to protect all metal parts of the first and second stages and is obtained through PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) to guarantee ultimate abrasion and corrosion resistance. The result is a unique shining look that characterizes quality products."

Where I am running into an issue is, would it be ok to put the part on my regulator and WOULD IT BE SAFE to use it with nitrox? Reason I ask is, awhile back I heard a story from one of the circles around here in which a guy put a titanium reg on a oxygen bottle and it exploded. Quite obviously I would very much like to avoid this.

Please let me know when you get a chance. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Paint

P. S. I don't plan to be using anything more than 40% anytime soon, but weather I do or not, would it be safe to use this thing on it, or safe for under 40% not above? Again, thanks.

I wouldn't worry about it being used for mixes of less than 40%. The adaptor likely isn't a major cause of ignition anyway, as the path (aside from the non titanium filter) is just straight through. The reg body itself with many little nooks, crannies, and sharp edges would likely be the source of ignition in a Ti reg used with very high O2 %.

The explosive titanium regulator was a one time occurrence under laboratory conditions. I've never heard of a titanium reg exploding in real dive conditions. I use a titanium reg on my rec gear and dive 32% all the time with no problems at all.

The explosive titanium regulator was a one time occurrence under laboratory conditions. I've never heard of a titanium reg exploding in real dive conditions. .
Here a rec.scuba post by GUE instructor Michael Kane (aka MHK) shortly after an incident that occurred to his friend John Cain in San Diego.

O2 tank explodes - San Diego 6-3-00 - rec.scuba | Google Groups

> BTW, I read a message somewhere just now that the tank contents may
> have been something other than what was labled on the take. Rumor has
> it that the EAN was something like 78%.

The story is true. It happened to a friend of mine. His name is John Cain and I spoke with him yesterday in the hospital.
But as to the facts, He was working with a bunch of open water students and was planning on doing 5 very shallow dives with different students during
the day. He wasn't even taking the gas in the water, he just wanted to
breathe it as an extra measure of protection during SIT's. He cranked on
the bottle while leaning on the back of his truck. His arm was leaning on
the 1st stage and when he opened the valve it ignited. He was using the
Atomic T1/T2 and swears that it was 02 cleaned. The tank ( AL 40 ) was in
current hydro.

His wetsuit caught on fire and by the time he was able to get the flames
extinguished he has suffered some bad burns.

Also, he did say that all O-rings were viton.

Hi,
I'm not going to debate titanium and nitrox. I can tell you we have a regular brass Din adapter that can be ordered by a Mares dealer. These will be available in our warehouse 9/18. Part # 416805
DIN CONNECTOR 2K5 300 BAR

Best regards

Zak, may I ask why you will not get into it? The one that is available currently is rather expensive, and this one that I found here is $40. I will look into the new one, but is it available for the MR22?

I have called a total of 3 different shops, including the one where I purchased the regulator. 2 of the shops say it will be fine as long as I stay under 40% (again including the place I got it) but one shop says it would not be ok. I really would like a definitive answer one way or the other as I really don't want to take any chance of blowing myself up or hurting someone else. So I guess I would re-word this question to ask:

Would it be ok to use a titanium DIN adapter on a Mares MR22 with 40% or less nitrox?

Thanks again everyone for your input,

Paint

Due to liability reasons, you won't get a straight answer from anyone that might count. All you will get is opinions.

Zak, may I ask why you will not get into it? The one that is available currently is rather expensive, and this one that I found here is $40. I will look into the new one, but is it available for the MR22?

I have called a total of 3 different shops, including the one where I purchased the regulator. 2 of the shops say it will be fine as long as I stay under 40% (again including the place I got it) but one shop says it would not be ok. I really would like a definitive answer one way or the other as I really don't want to take any chance of blowing myself up or hurting someone else. So I guess I would re-word this question to ask:

Would it be ok to use a titanium DIN adapter on a Mares MR22 with 40% or less nitrox?

Thanks again everyone for your input,

Paint

I don't want to go into it, because I am not a scientist, nor a lawyer. Also I don't have a lot of time to debate something that I'm not sure is fact. It would be speculation (to my knowledge) therefore I don't have an opinion one way or the other. P.S. This titanium din preceeds me and I don't know if it was a coating on the exterior or if it made it to the interior.

As for the current 2005 MR22 Din kit; average selling price is going to be $60.00. We don't have a MSRP for this item but I would be surprised if you couldn't find a dealer to offer you one at this price. To me this makes more sense than purchasing an old one for $20.00 less not including shipping.

I appreciate your interest in our products and for posting your question in our forum. I hope this answers your questions.

Sincerely,

I do understand the whole liability thing, and I really do appreciate the opinions and feedback I have gotten so far.

I love this regulator, and I am pretty sure I will stick with Mares for a long time for regulators. I have no problems getting the part from my local shops, but it was that it did cost between $65 and $150 (only one shop said $150, all else was up to $75). This adapter I got for $37 shipped. Like I was saying earlier, 3 shops I spoke to said I would be fine as long as I stayed under 40%.

I was at yet another shop a couple of days ago, and I presented this idea to him. He strongly advised against it, and proceeded to tell me a story about a person who used a titanium reg with Nitrox, and it caught fire with a 32% mixture. Now please keep in mind, this was an all titanium reg, and what I am doing is ONLY the DIN connection. So I would like to know, 1) COULD this have any truth to it? Not that I am calling him a liar or anything like that, but is there a significant chance it could happen? 2) Has anyone ever heard of a reg/nitrox combination that has combusted with less than a 40% mix?

On a seperate note, assuming that the description I recieved from the seller is acurate in that it is essentially a "powder coated" titanium finish, would there be any kind of chemical that could remove the finish, or some sort of grinding process or something I could do to remove the finish?

Thanks again for all of your help, I hope to hear from you soon.

Paint

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom