Quick Poll - Your Favorite Place To Stay in Roatan

So who would you stay and dive with in Roatan?

• Mayan Princess Beach Resort Mayan Divers

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Anthonys Key

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • CoCo View

Votes: 40 44.9%
  • Fantasy Island Resort

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Reef House Resort

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Luna Beach Dive Resort

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Turquoise Bay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paradise Beach Club

• Media Luna Resort and Spa

• Henry Morgan

• Barefoot Cay

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 12 13.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bananarama resort and dive shop in West Bay. Personally, I chose to stay at a more low-budget place, but love love love them for diving - and everything I heard from resort guests there during my three stays suggests that Bananarama resort it is a very nice place for staying as well. Best Pina Coladas of the island at their Thirsty Turtle bar!

Have only been to Roatan once so I voted where we stayed. CoCo View. While it may be nice to try another place some time to compare I fear the odds of being let down and spending the entire time comparing to CCV - it's just not worth the "risk".

I feel the same way, Byte Me. FI specials are very tempting right now, but I'd be sitting there longing for CocoView.

I feel the same way, Byte Me. FI specials are very tempting right now, but I'd be sitting there longing for CocoView.

You wouldn't have to long for CocoView! They're just next door...Robert would send you over in the skiff for a visit...they're all friends!

You wouldn't have to long for CocoView! They're just next door...Robert would send you over in the skiff for a visit...they're all friends!

I encourage divers to do this, not only at CCV & FIBR which are right across the channel, but take a good look at other Roatan resorts and options, as well.

Due to "the shape of the island", it is easy for these two resorts to swap guests, although a lot more CCV guests have made that trip than vice versa. I imagine that a good part of the reason is that CCV keeps their kayaks on the facing shore of the channel, whereas FIBR keeps theirs stowed on the far side.

Neither resorts gets much traffic from other places on the island, and altho CCV is that "one step" more remote because it requires a boat skiff ride to get there, they do get a diver or couple every couple of weeks from Cruise Ships- a few have returned for a weeklong stay.

On a recent trip, I went with a friend to check out Reef House Resort (about a 30 minute cab ride and quick skiff East) as well as Tabutne/Divers at Play Liveaboard. (see my sig-link to photobucket and here on SB Albums for pictures) We consider such explorations as time well spent.

After you have visited Roatan a few times, instead of another day tour to the Iguana Farm or shopping on Friday, your off-gassing day, consider taking a ride around to other interesting resorts. If you have stayed at FIBR, for sure look at CCV... that's easy- but then on your day trip, have a look at Anthony's Key or maybe the day-dive options of the West End. If you liked FIBR, you might like Paya Bay or Turquoise Bay~ two resorts that are more located on the FIBR "center zone" of the island- these operations are on the North side, though.

You never know until you look. (If you do go on a Friday, understand that most resorts on Roatan use Saturday as a transition day, so you might not be seeing the operation in full swing!)

When you go, sit and watch the dive operation as it moves through the day. Look at the wet rooms, the way they handle the tanks, the compressor area, the boats (very carefully) and think about how you, a diver, would fit in.

Here are a series of images of boats on Roatan that divers fall off of all the time: http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3809

Some ops, like FIBR, offer three different boat trips a day, and a dedicated diver will make the departures easy~breezy. Other places, usually West End, may indeed offer 3 departures per day, but there is no way a mortal being could make #1 and #2 any more than "one day in a row"!

Analyze what you are seeing, see how and if it would work for you and the way you approach a dive vacation.

Stop by the dining area and watch a meal (or three, if you are a serious student), or buy yourself a dive on a diveboat- just to see up-front and personal how it really works.

Any resort should be able to offer you a "room tour".

It's a whole big world out there.

Mayan Divers out of the Mayan Princess runs trips to the south side and even to Utilla for whale watching.

I haven't sampled enough Roatan dive resorts to form an opinion of a favorite yet.
I have only been to Roatan twice (BIBR & Coco View) and liked them both.
BIBR felt more intimate and friendly and had great shore diving (Spooky Channel), but CCV had better food. :)
My guess is that more than 1/2 of the people voting for CCV, the runaway leader, have only been to CCV and went back again, and again, because they liked it. Which is fine.

I haven't sampled enough Roatan dive resorts to form an opinion of a favorite yet.
I have only been to Roatan twice (BIBR & Coco View) and liked them both.
BIBR felt more intimate and friendly and had great shore diving (Spooky Channel), but CCV had better food. :)
My guess is that more than 1/2 of the people voting for CCV, the runaway leader, have only been to CCV and went back again, and again, because they liked it. Which is fine.

true...CCV is the most-returned-to dive resort in the world. There is a reason for that. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom