Questions on ScubaPro Jetfins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be careful about the copies of the Jet Fin, most of them are crap. It's just "rubber" but the specific compound makes a world of difference in terms of feel, responsiveness, and energy storage and release.

The only one I ever felt compared well to the Jet Fin was the OMS Slipstream. It's a lighter monoprene version of the Jet Fin but still wears very well and feels almost identical in the water, despite being a little stiffer. I actually dive the Slipstreams a ot more than my Jets now, due to the lighter weight and better trim they allow in my current configuration.

Do you do well with a heavy fin? Do you like the foot pockets?

I dislike jets as they do not fit me well. That is likely a key factor or should be. Fins should be comfortable and fit. Likely much more important than performance as humans stink when attempting to compete with say a FISH, any fish....

Jets last forever. Mine were made in the '70s and show no sign of giving up the ghost yet.

You can usually get a a pair used off Ebay for half the price of new.

I used these spring straps on mine and I like them:

EZ Spring Grip-Tight Fin Strap, Black

The "real" Jet Fin, still kicking after 40+ years!

Funny thing about Jet Fins (not the split kind). Used to be every year when they did the new gear review, they would use Jet Fins as the comparison fin. Problem was, Jet Fins almost always won. Sooooo, they just stopped using Jet Fins, because they kept making the newest and greatest creations look bad. You see older and more experienced divers using them for a reason. Split fins and cutesy designs are great for resort diving and quarries, but harsher conditions require a more robust fin. Just my $0.02.

My current pair of Jets has been with me so long I do not recall where or when I got them. Some years ago I bought a new in the bag spare set. I suppose I will leave them for some future version of me as it does not seem I will wear these out as I seem to be on the losing side of the contest.

Yes, it is true, you will often find, older, experienced divers still with their battle scared Jets after several decades of use. As well, the stiffness thing is way over stated, I do not find Jets to be stiff at all. They are just right. I too am a swimmer and have no problem flutter kicking or frog kicking Jets. They are an effective fin. I am looking to get the OMS Slipstreams however due to travel weight issues as I am finding the Mares Avanti/Quattro type fin lacking when I put the pedal to the metal.

Jets, the fins I love to hate and hate to love.

N

1986 and still love them after trying to replace them twice.

The newly manufactured Jets all come with SS spring straps. If you are buying one without, they are the old stock.

I think one main distint properly for Jet fin is the weight of the fins. They are heavy. When you are diving with drysuit, thick undergarment in cold water, the additional wieght comes in handy. If you are diving with thin wetsuit, it maybe too heavy.

I know this may be hard to answer, but Im keeping my eye open for used Jets myself. I wear a 9.5 shoe, and my drysuit has attached boots, which seem pretty thick to me (its my first DS though, so maybe its just me).

Would that most likely relate to a size Large jetfin?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom