Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, ok, back to business....

How about nitrox. Do most of the boat divers use nitrox or air? I'm assuming they have to know ahead of time who using what.

Looks like you may have gotten some incorrect information. As of October 30, Privilege Hotels is giving up the lease they have maintained for the past two (I think) years. The resort's owner will be assuming control of the property.

I am not sure what changes will be made at Fantasy Island, but I am hopeful they will be great ones! We'll be arriving on October 30th, so I will be sure to post a report about what's happening at Fantasy Island :D

Wonderful.....We leave Oct 16 for a week. So, what you are saying is "good luck". We will be staying there in the final weeks of the people that are not running the place. Sounds like customer service may be somewhat slim.

Snagel

How about nitrox. Do most of the boat divers use nitrox or air? I'm assuming they have to know ahead of time who using what.

The dive profiles on the South side of Roatan do not indicate the absolute need for nitrox. It may be done safely on an air profile. When diving there, I pursue a more frequent dive schedule than is offered even by FI, and after many, many years of dives on Roatan, I have never exceeded my limits on air.

One may debate the reasons for feeling the need to use nitrox, I am only stating a pure fact. It is not necessary.

Do lots of people use it? Sure.

ok, ok, back to business....

We use nitrox, however as RoatanMan said it is not necessary. I would say about 60 to 70% of the divers use air and 30+% are using nitrox. That has kind of been the norm the past several years. Nitrox is available in 32% only, but there is never a problem with supply. If you dive nitrox you sign up at the beginning of the week and pay extra based upon the weekly rate, or if you wish you can pay for it by the tank and pay for what you use if you dive on an air/nitrox mix of tanks.

Wonderful.....We leave Oct 16 for a week. So, what you are saying is "good luck". We will be staying there in the final weeks of the people that are not running the place. Sounds like customer service may be somewhat slim.

Snagel

I wouldn't make those assumptions Snagel. We became familiar with the people who own Privilege and they seem like honorable people. The manager on site is very professional and I'm sure he will provide the best possible experience for you. As far as I know, nothing is changing with the dive shop...it will be business as usual. And hopefully the same employees will be remaining at Fantasy Island, so there will definitely be some continuity there. I'm sure you are going to have a great trip! Your biggest problem will be that October is rainy season - but you can hope for the best with that too :D

Snagel

We'll be there that week also, so if the food get too bad we can all get a van and go out to eat, or snorkel over to Cocoview. :crafty:

I'm sure the dive shop will be the same as it has been through many different managements.

Back
Top Bottom