Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even without the improvements, I still don,t see how they can make a decent profit at those prices!! :shocked2: but hey, I'm not complaining about dirt cheap dive options. I just hope they are still open when my young family is old enough that I'll eb able to get away for a week...:)

I know what you mean Codman. If it's a villa built over the water on Bora Bora be prepared to pay the tab, if it's a trout fishing camp in the swamps of South Louisiana the cost ain't near that-
If you look at the fees at FI for 2011 there will be a definite increase, which I presume is to help support those improvements that are coming, but overall it's still even at the new 2011 price schedule one heck of a value compared to most other destinations.:crafty:

Here's another question (traveling with SteveC)......

We are staying at Fantasy Island. I've heard that there are some rooms that can only be accessed to by walking up many many steps - Is this true? Are there any recommendations on what rooms to try and get or try to avoid?

Snagel

Hi there Snagel...welcome aboard - you are going to love Fantasy Island :D

Are you sure you're not talking about the steps at Anthony's Key? You have to work out with a stairmaster to make sure you're in shape for those :rofl3:

Seriously, I think Fantasy Island has some rooms up on the hill behind the dive shop, but I'm not even sure. We always request rooms in the newer wing, which is to the left as you drive in. There are some really cool rooms right next to the dive shop, but they are smaller and have not been updated. I haven't been in one to check it out, but lots of people seem to enjoy them. Personally, I prefer the larger updated rooms in the newer section - I never feel cramped or confined...even after two weeks :D

Even without the improvements, I still don,t see how they can make a decent profit at those prices!! :shocked2: but hey, I'm not complaining about dirt cheap dive options. I just hope they are still open when my young family is old enough that I'll eb able to get away for a week...:)

CODMAN, I understand your comments about profit, but it's not always that simple. There are many other factors to consider. I have not heard anything about what plans Fantasy Island has for the resort with the new management taking over, but it occurs to me that if they want to be successful over the long term, they need to get people down there and show them that they are serious about the product they are providing.

Occupancy has been down for the past year and a half due to problems in Honduras, so the resort has not been near capacity for a while. Maybe they want to get their "new" program off on the right foot by introducing as many people as possible to the resort so they will come back in the future. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, so the reduced rates are a great way of advertising the resort :D

CODMAN, I understand your comments about profit, but it's not always that simple. There are many other factors to consider. I have not heard anything about what plans Fantasy Island has for the resort with the new management taking over, but it occurs to me that if they want to be successful over the long term, they need to get people down there and show them that they are serious about the product they are providing.

Occupancy has been down for the past year and a half due to problems in Honduras, so the resort has not been near capacity for a while. Maybe they want to get their "new" program off on the right foot by introducing as many people as possible to the resort so they will come back in the future. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money, so the reduced rates are a great way of advertising the resort :D

Maybe they need improvements if the standard is Americans with bloated budgets but they also serve others without the expectations. I like it just the way it is. If I want first class I will go to Cocoview. :D

Maybe they need improvements if the standard is Americans with bloated budgets but they also serve others without the expectations. I like it just the way it is. If I want first class I will go to Cocoview. :D

Good point, and to each his own. I think it's awesome that both resorts share the same fabulous shore diving opportunities and easy access to the well-known dive sites on the south side of Roatan, yet they offer completely different personalities in terms of amenities and style. There are options for everyone :D

Here's another question (traveling with SteveC)......

We are staying at Fantasy Island. I've heard that there are some rooms that can only be accessed to by walking up many many steps - Is this true? Are there any recommendations on what rooms to try and get or try to avoid?

Snagel

Not unless you consider a facility with a set or room on the ground floor and another set of rooms on the second floor many many steps.

+1 Ask for the newer section.:coffee:

We always request rooms in the newer wing, which is to the left as you drive in.
Personally, I prefer the larger updated rooms in the newer section - I never feel cramped or confined...even after two weeks :D

There is a set of rooms behind the dive shop with a couple of sets of stairs. They are not too bad, and it is really convenient to the dive shop.
I have stayed in that section and the section between the "gift shop" and the dive shop, which has the "balcony" looking out on the beach. that is my preferred place, simply because of the view, but both rooms were almost identical. The best, and hottest, shower in the resort is the ones on the dock at the dive shop. IMHO.
The food is OK, but it is boring. You will find plenty of time to eat around the boat's schedule.
The place is a treasure for the price you pay, and the diving is spectacular. the only thing I will do different next time I go down, is to take my fishing rod. At night there is a huge onsaught of tarpon hanging around the gazebo, and I would love to catch one of the monsters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom