Questions about Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, the promised updates have not been performed. Roatan has had a VERY difficult couple of years, but things are beginning to look up. I think the island can expect an increase in tourism during the next year and hopefully the new managers who will be taking charge of the resort at the end of October will make the most of it...

Personally, I'd understand if it stays exactly as it is. For the price they charge, i'm sure there is nothing left for improvements/ renovations...:popcorn: IMO they'd have to increse their prices to support these promised improvements. For me, FI is fine as it is. If I want better instalations, I'll be visiting Covoview accross the channel in the future...:coffee:

Just my 0.02$

No, the promised updates have not been performed. Roatan has had a VERY difficult couple of years, but things are beginning to look up. I think the island can expect an increase in tourism during the next year and hopefully the new managers who will be taking charge of the resort at the end of October will make the most of it...

I know what you mean Codman. If it's a villa built over the water on Bora Bora be prepared to pay the tab, if it's a trout fishing camp in the swamps of South Louisiana the cost ain't near that-
If you look at the fees at FI for 2011 there will be a definite increase, which I presume is to help support those improvements that are coming, but overall it's still even at the new 2011 price schedule one heck of a value compared to most other destinations.:crafty:

Personally, I'd understand if it stays exactly as it is. For the price they charge, i'm sure there is nothing left for improvements/ renovations...:popcorn: IMO they'd have to increse their prices to support these promised improvements. For me, FI is fine as it is. If I want better instalations, I'll be visiting Covoview accross the channel in the future...:coffee:

Just my 0.02$

Note that the "promised improvements" I originally referred to came from the previous tenants. I have not heard anything about promises from the new folks coming in except that they want us to go down and have fun and see for ourselves :idk:

Thanks for all the responses. Here is my next question. What's your thought on taking some kind of Anti-malaria medication? I’ve heard that Roatan has a moderate malaria risk.

the diving is great, the food so so but plenty of it. Nice relaxing schedule. Plenty of shore diving off of the resort. Calm water when we were there. New rooms great. Easy to get to without taking puddle jumpers. And best of all a great price.

Thanks for all the responses. Here is my next question. What's your thought on taking some kind of Anti-malaria medication? I’ve heard that Roatan has a moderate malaria risk.

No question there is malaria potential on the island. The first few years we always took the meds...last few years we haven't. Fantasy Island does fog the resort every morning and mosquitoes are not a real bad problem. But unless you are prepared to use a deet or other product should consider taking preventative medication. This would especially be true if you leave the facility and go to the botanical gardens or zip line.
It's a matter of choice and probably best to be safe rather than sorry, even though some of us who go often have gotten complacent about taking them.

I am open to taking malaria meds even though I generally have awful side effects when taking them. My excuse for not taking them is that there is also a possibility of contracting Dengue Fever (also mosquito-borne), and there is NO preventative for that. So what's the use in taking anti-malarial medications if you have to be completely vigilant against mosquitos to prevent Dengue Fever anyway:confused: I might as well be especially vigilant and avoid the side effects of the anti-malarial meds :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom