Question on Oceanic SP6 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robb5150

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good evening fellow divers...

I took my Oceanic SP6 rig to my local dive shop for service and it was returned to me this past Saturday. The shop is an AUTHORIZED Oceanic dealer/service center.
I did NOT inspect it at the shop since I trust the guys, BUT when I get home I found it is missing a part:
The RED PIN on the center that is shown on the picture. I believe that PIN sits on a spring, as I was able to push it in with very little force and it would spring back out. I'm NOT tech saavy, I do not know if this PIN is actually needed now or if it is not needed because of some "service upgrade".
I was NOT told about this removal when the regulator was returned to me.The reg was only bolted to a tank valve and I was shown the full rig works when I went in to pick it up.

Do you think I should drop ASAP over there to have this issue corrected, or is this a "surplus", unneeded part??

I just want my stuff as original as it goes. Right now it only has the hole in there.

Perhaps it was only a mistake??

Thank you .

Robert

Attachments

• OceanicSP6_1.png
    OceanicSP6_1.png
    264.6 KB · Views: 29
  • OceanicSP6_2.png
    OceanicSP6_2.png
    463.4 KB · Views: 22
that is the DVT plunger

there was a previous recall as noted that they no longer are recommended to be installed during servicing

that is the DVT plunger

there was a previous recall as noted that they no longer are recommended to be installed during servicing
Would you happen to have another source for this?

As far as I know the plunger is still in use, even on brand new Oceanic regulators. Their service manuals still replace the plunger as usual, at least up until 2022, e.g. in the SP5.

There was a recall on these plungers in 2013, but it was about a replacement, not outright removal. Has this changed in the meantime?

Attachments

• 6 - DVT Plunger Retrofit_1.pdf
    303.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 6 - DVT Plunger Retrofit_2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
the newer ones got changed to a ball style instead of the plunger iirc. I'll see if I can dig up the bulletin, but it looks like oceanic removed the page for the DVT on their website.

This is very interesting, as this would be a recent change.

Up until 2022 they still sold at least some of their Yoke versions with DVTs. The non-DVT assembly was #40.6155 and the DVT version sold under the #40.6157 part number. Also up until then the DVT plunger was still the second version (2013), which is somewhat arrow shaped - #6903. It was also prominently featured in the service manuals up until then.

I have not seen or heard of them changing it to a ball type, so I'd be very grateful if you would share any information on that if you find it.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION...this picture is an SP5, brand NEW, bought by a friend on the day I took them for service...same shop. He was kind enough to take a picture... don't know if it helps...

Attachments

• KIMG0815_01_BURST1000815_COVER.JPG
    KIMG0815_01_BURST1000815_COVER.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 18
  • KIMG0816.JPG
    KIMG0816.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 18
I received this response directly from one of the techs at Oceanic...:
"...There was a service directive to remove the DVT when regs come into authorized service centers. The shop was performing service as directed by the manufacturer. DVT was found to cause harmonics issues in some cases and removing it fixed the issue. DVT is not authorized to be reinstalled in Oceanic regulators and your service center was acting appropriately. There is no part that takes its place. It simply just is not reinstalled..."

Thank you all for this wealth of information.

Robert

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom